Excavating

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Adam's Lawn and Garden, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the process of learning how to do retaining walls, and paver walkways. I was wondering how you guys cut out the dirt for the base courses after you excavate behind where the wall will be?

Thanks,
    adam

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

i would dig.

3. Adam's Lawn and Garden

do you dig it by hand, or with a backhoe?

adam

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this one of those trick questions ??? Depends on the size of the job or if my crew P$$#$#% me off that morning or not/ rather I hand them a shovel or mini-x

5. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Oh. Ok i figured out now how you do it, i was trying to figure out how you would dig the trench from the side, but you could just dig it parallel to the part you excavate.

adam

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Yes parallet.........BUT it depends too, besides the usual site access stuff but how high is the wall and the area it will be holding. Higher you go, further back/wider you have to dig.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer to use diesel and hydraulics any chance I can get vs. shoveling by hand. It all depends on the job though, but if there is a way to use a mini, or if it is sixes one way or the other.......I'd rather pay at the pump, than have a sore back any day of the week.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

small jobs - hand dug

med to large jobs - we break out the shovels that operate via two control handles.

9. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

depends on size of job and site. Also depends on soil type small job and hard ground in the seat i go.:weightlifter:

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If i have atleast 36in access you can bet it will get dug with a machine! Any machine is better than diggin by hand. I've dug out some pretty big jobs with these mico mini excavators!