Excavation Project Price

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NNJLandman, Jul 23, 2007.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys could use a little help.

Got a call from a guy the other day needing to have a drainage issue on his property corrected. His house sits on a large hill, he's on the downslope. After it rains a day or two later the ground water comes up thru his basement floor, he gets an inch or less everytime. He had the town engineer look at it. His answer, excavate around the rear of the house 8ft. in depth and install a drainage pipe which will lead out into the woods, then fill in the hole with 1-2" stone. The homeowner would also like to pipe in the lieters off the gutters on the house

So I figured

2 Days(maybe 3) with a mini x and a skidsteer -$150/hr -$2400.00
    Removal of the dirt $1200.00
    20 Tons of 1-2" Crushed Stone $2000.00
    8-10 yds of Topsoil to fix the damaged areas $640.00
    200' of Pvc perferated pipe $500.00

I came up with $6500.00

Any input or questions that would help with an input on the price?

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Pricing is fair.........the removal of dirt........you're not paying to dispose are you?

3. NNJLandman

no, just fuel costs

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Jeff,

I don't know where you are in jersey but up here we are getting about 125 hr for a machine and operator, if you can get more thats great. Also your number to truck away 20 yards of soil seems kinda high. I assume it's 20 yards because of the quantity of stone you list.

5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the prices for topsoil and stone include the delivery to site? If so, you are buying a lot cheaper than we get around here.
    By what you've explained, sight unseen to me, If I was the homeowner, I'd think that was a fair price. You might add a little 'buffer' to it, just in case you come into some type of problem.

6. NNJLandman

Forestfireguy, im located in Kinnelon.

Thanks for all your responses guys, seems like im right in the ballpark area. I'm adding a clause into the contract with an hourly rate should we encounter large underground mishaps(boulders, rocks etc) while digging, so that should this hamper hour time an hourly fee will kick in.

Jeff

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i think I would also include a clause stating you are installing the drain system according to the engineer's, or who ever's, specifications and you are not able to guarantee the results of the work.

8. NNJLandman

Lawnmaster - that is a very good idea and will include that

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I'll sub my Mini ex to you for 120 hr with an operator.......also if you need a hammer for those "unforeseen obstacles" let me know we have the hydrailic hammer for our 334.

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

If I hit underground debris that is a pita my hourly wage doubles......'equipment abuse clause'