excavation with my JD 3520?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by captaingreen, Apr 22, 2008.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a John Deere 3520 over the winter. It is a 37 hp compact tractor with a 300x loader. To date I've just used it for snow removal over winter and some light hauling/moving stuff around. My question is I'll be putting a tooth bar on it and would like to use it for a patio excavation where I'll be digging out about 8"-10" of heavy clay. Do y'all think the tractor will handle that kind of digging alright or is that more of a job where I need to rent the bobcat again?

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

That should work fine. I have a jd 2210 and use it for light stuff like that and it works great. Just today we were moving and spreading a few 4 foot high clay dirt piles.

3. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I think the tractor will handle it but the loader is a bit weak. I Have a 4520 with a 400cx loader and it bends and flexes when you put it under just about any type of load. I used to have a Deere 3203 with a 300x loader and it worked well for light clean-up type stuff (Mulch or stripped fluffy sod)

These compact tractor loaders just aren't built heavy enough for skidloader type digging. IMO. just rent another skidloader.

BTW. I am peterbilt on plowsite. My tractor pics are on there.

J