Excavator Control Patterns.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Mar 30, 2010.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I learned on John deere pattern controls so how do you experienced operators switch between Controls? I have tried but I look Like a Drunk Monkey running a machine.

Also what manufacturers use what pattern?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Gradall had a pattern all their own, it had the swing and bucket on opposite sides, someone told me they used to have a 3 way switch for Cat, Deere and Gradall.

One of these days I will have to switch to Cat, but that's change for me, and I do not accept change, so I will inevitably die off like the dinosaurs before me as I cannot adapt to my new surroundings.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You and Ronald Dejong are the only weirdos that like Deere Control Pattern.

4. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

No one really has to learn a new pattern anymore. Don't you have a pattern changer Ron? Do they still make machines without one? I used to have to get into the father in laws Hitachi and move hoses before I could run it. It was a lot of work, so eventually I learned to run the Cat controls. But now if I have levers it has to be JD, and if it has joysticks it has to be Cat. And if I jump in a rubber tire with joysticks, I am just f***ed. I can't run it either way. My little brain can't cope.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I think for us in B.C. it will eventually come a Worksafe (WCB) regulation that the machine has to have a control pattern switch. I learned on Cat controls it is all I can use.

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

I started on a JD Backhoe and then went to excavators. I hope to force myself to spend some money this year on a bigger excavator and the thought of having to relearn the controls is not appealing so I was also curious what larger excavators had switchable controls and if not who used Deere patterns.

7. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I don't know how some guys can switch back and forth. I also grew up and spent probably 15 years on deere controls. The company I work for now has probably 30 excavators with cat controls, they simply told me if I wanted to work here I was going to have to learn, so there was a couple days or week of looking like a dumbass. I have since occassionaly hoped on a subcontractors backhoe with deere controls and I have a hell of a time hitting the ground even all those years running it.

AWJ most new excavators I've seen have a switch or value you can turn or if your going to be buying one they can have it set up with deere controls like you want.

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

Most of the machines I have been shopping in the 12-15 ton size are in the 90's. I was hoping I could have the hoses swapped if it did not have a control switch.

Thanks for the info guys!

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My brother's Cat hoes didn't have pattern changers, so he installed them when he started hiring people in 2006, Finning made good money off him, the 290B + C models had a changer and the Hitachi my Dad owns has built in pattern changers, but the old PC60's had them installed later on in 2007.

But I remember as a kid trying out new machines at the dealer's lots we had to call ahead so the shop could switch over the lines at the boom for us, then the valves came as an option and made tyring new machines easier with less grumbling from the grease monkeys.

10. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess I'm the odd one. I can only run a excavator with Cat controls. Switch them and its fun to watch. I can run a backhoe fine with the deere patter but it must be on the wobble sticks. I can run a backhoe as well on cat controls but it must have the joysticks:dizzy: