1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"excavator Hopper"

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by minimax, Feb 28, 2008.

1. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

2. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

3. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

it looks like you could waste a lot of time messing with the hopper. The way you move it around seems a little time consuming from the video standpoint. I think you could easily outwork this attatchment with just the standard bucket. The idea of an excavator is not to drive it around with a bucket of material anyways, thats why you have a skid steer.
  4. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

That thing would get beat up pretty fast using it like they are.
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Looks to me like a skid steer with no wheels or cab. I would save my money and put it towards a skid. Nice idea though, but I don't think it would last or is it practical.
  6. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea it is a good ideal but I could see that thing becoming more of a pain to carry to a job and too bulky to move and use on a tight job. Also a mini cost to much to be using it as a carrier also since a builder wouldn't pay more to have that box on their job but they would have to pay extra for a skid steer to be on site to carry material.
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I saw those before. I thought it would be handy on retaining wall jobs where you cant get a skid steer to the bottom tier. I could have used one numerous times. I thought about building or buying one.
  8. BIGBEN2004

That is true, on a retaining wall it would be good to help carry supplies or material and place it where you need it.
  9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Neat idea, but you need a bigger bucket if you are going to carry such a small amount like that, the amount of time it takes to fiddle around with the hopper and load it, a standard clean up bucket is faster.
  10. BIGBEN2004

It is kinda like a stone box that pipe crews use with full size track-hoes except on a much smaller scale.