Excavator Pins?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Jun 26, 2007.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I am looking for a extra set of 80 MM pins that I can leave in my bucket for a quick couple. Is there any good online dealers that sell pins like this, or should I just pick up some at my Deere dealer? They do not have any in stock, so I need to order anyway. Thanks!

2. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I buy my 'pin-stock' at a local tool steel supplier, and weld on some type of end. (plus do any zert machining) Probably cheaper to buy them, but mine are not available. I did make up a set last week for another 'grey merket' machine, and was able to find some stock at a surplus steel place. It was less than $10 for 3 ft.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Making pins is the reason I bought a used lathe. I got tired of getting ripped by the local machinist so I build my own.

4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

How in the heck do you make pins on a lathe? The pins are heat treated and ground, as it is extreamly hard material. I also need a pin that has a grease zerk/slot milled into it. I ended up ordering from deere-$360.00 each.

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

You buy an oil hardening metal and machine it too your needs and then you can have it hardened or harden it yourself.

I am going too pick up my mill tomorrow I purchased and I already have a 1660 Summit Lathe with a 4 inch through hole in the head.

I do a small amount of repairs for guys with my machines.
    It is a blast too make stuff and saves you money on parts .

6. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have made pins for backhoes and skid steers, You machine them to size then harden them in a carburizing compound. Alternatively you can use an oxy-acetylene torch on low oxygen and blacken the outer surface, not as hard but it seems to work. With a lathe and a milling machine life is good!