Excavator post hole digging

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Bill Eh, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Bill Eh

Bill Eh LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota KX41 excavator and a BX 1800 tractor. I'm thinking about getting a post hole digger to use with one of them. I know there are some clearance challenges with the BX tractors but I wonder if my excavator (a just under 2 ton machine) would be OK to post hole dig with. I'm worried about the torque of digging holes and if it will damage the boom/stick on the small excavator. Anyone have opinions?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You just need enough hydraulics to power the drill but otherwise a post auger on a excavator would be alot nicer than one on a tractor. With the excavator it will be easier to position where you want etc.

Nothing can be as distructive to a excavator than a rock breaker so I doubt you will have any probs with the drill.

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Cat 301.8, which is the same size class as the Kubota you have. We use a trencher and an auger attachment on it and it works great. Just remember you are not in a 375 with a 15 yard bucket. You are in mighty might with an enlarged hand shovel bucket. take smaller bites, it will still beat the time of hand work and you will get off stress free at night. We have dug swimming pools with ours, just not as fast as the bgger machines.

4. Bill Eh

Bill Eh LawnSite Member

Thanks Gravel Rat and Uniscraper. Sounds like the KX-41 will handle an auger without problems. Do either of you know what is a reasonable price to charge to auger post holes to about 4 feet. Thanks.

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Our machines go for $75.00 per hour with a $72.00 per man hour and a half day minimum. So, the minimum you will get us on site for is near $600.00.

6. Bill Eh

Bill Eh LawnSite Member

Thanks Uniscraper!