excavator rotary broom

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I think a rotary broom would be much more useful on a mini X than a skid. never seen one though.

2. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

Where would you use it?

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

where would you use one on a skid. same thing but more reach, more maneuverability.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't work unless you have a dedicated pump for the broom, as soon as you move the tracks the broom would almost stop, some excavators use the aux and drive motors on the same pump.

5. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

skid steer would be 10x faster. Imagine trying to sweep a parking lot with one... It would make more of a mess then it would be usefull.

6. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

probably a parking lot or a street. Where would you use a mini ex broom?

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

eh, nevermind then. I just thought it would be nice if you could reach anywhere with one. Tight spaces and up higher. I have a really unique situation where I have to clean snow off the tops of 10 ft diameter cylinders that are in the ground. They sit 4 ft above the ground and there are 200 of them. Takes 7 hours, 1 spine and 2 shoulders to clean them of a foot with a power broom trimmer.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Rent a Genie Lift or something, you can get these little units you pull behind a car from Cat Rentals, I've seen one use here by a gutter company, very wild looking little lift.

9. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Actually, SnowEx makes a angle broom roughly 7ft wide (Non rotating) that goes on the front of a truck Via Plow mounts. A person thats doing what you are could get something like that and fab it to go on a mini or a tractor hoe.

You could go right down the middle of the rows, reach to both side and clear your area in maybe 1/3 the time.

J.

10. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for explanation, I can be a little more understanding of your first comment. I was wondering where your head was.