1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Excavator shopping

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirty Water, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I went to the Kubota/ Takuechi dealership today (Kitsap Farm and Garden in Silverdale) and spent some time looking at their machines and talking money with their rep.

I think the Kubota KX91 (7k lbs) looks pretty well suited to what I want to do, and its a good strong machine. We discussed a demo machine being sent out, and they are up for it once I fill out the credit app.

He priced me out at $39,500 out the door with a Quick Coupler, Thumb, 12" bucket and 24" cleanup. No Cab, No AC.

How do you think that compares to other brands?

Also, they had the new Takeuchi TB1141, thats quite the machine, its about the size of a cat 312. I guess Tak is going to move into the fullsize market.

I got a chance to sit in it, and it has a much nicer cab than the cat, incredibly roomy.

They also have a full line of new Deawoo excavators, from 3k lbs size to 200 series. They are really cheap, I wonder how the quality is.
  2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Komatsu makes a nice unit also.

A local rental yard has a Takeuchi(small one) with 2700 hrs on it.
    Still a good machine.

I really like the quick disconnect bucket .

I have run JCB,Bobcat,Takeuchi and Komatsu.

Me personally they all were about the same.

I like the Zero tail swing option.
  3. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

we have an older grey market version of that machine (believe its a 97), hasnt had a serious problem in ~3,000 hard hours of use. well ,it has been through about 3 sets of tracks in a year but its a problem with misinformation from the dealer (kitsap), and/or getting the wrong tracks because its a GMM. they gave us new tracks under warenty, but still annoying.
  4. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

that price seems a little bit high...i payed only $10,000 more for the 161 with a quick coupler, thumb and 24 inch bucket. rubber tracks open cab.

also 0% financing for 36 months
  5. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

but i dont really know...maybe thats what they go for..
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If I was going with Kubota I would go with the venerable 161 its a 11,000lb machine that can do alot of work.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its also too much machine for what we need. We need a compact machine that can trench in tight area's between new developments.
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 161 is only 16"s wider and it can do alot of work if you want to use the machine for doing septic systems or digging basements.

I don't know its up to you for what size you want to buy. Myself I find the machines smaller than 10,000lbs are pretty feeble. You would have to have alot of tight work to make one pay for itself. How much work do you guys have to do what about a long term rental. We can rent a 328 size Bobcat which is only 6500lbs but it rents for 300 dollars a day.
  9. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

you would be using the machine for pretty much only irrigation work?
  10. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The 121-3 angle blade,with thumb(A must have) on rubber Is what we run. We felt it could do little and big work. IT HAS WORKED OUT GREAT. $40k is what we paid:weightlifter: Should have bought it sooner.:hammerhead: