Excel Conversion Sheet for Gravel, Mulch, Topsoil

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Feb 16, 2006.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone else use a sheet that converts everything for them? I have been working on a few things that I think would make life easier.

I have an excel spreadsheet set up so i can plug in length and width and depth and it will give me how many tons needed, how much for landscape fabric, how much for 3/4 bluestone, for a driveway price, or for a wheelbarrow price( IE backyard).

Anyone want to see it and help me share ideas, Ill give you my prototype and i will tell you how to plug in your own variables.

email me Jason@crewcutenterprises.com

2. CrewCutEnterprises

Also. about the coverage for gravel

does say 3 tons of 3/4 bluestone cover
    the same as 3 tons of 3/8 bluestone??

3. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

3 tons of 3/8 bluestone would have a smaller volume than 3 tons of 3/4 bluestone. so...but more surface area because the particles are smaller and therefore cover a larger surface area. if that makes sense. there is roughly 1.33 tons of 3/4 inch stone for every cubic yard of 3/4 in stone. i dont know the conversion for 3/8 stone. but since the particles are smaller. there is less air in the load, therefore a yard of 3/4 in stone weighs less than 3/8 stone. yea.

4. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

simply put...theres more stone in 3 tons of 3/8 stone than there is in 3 tons of 3/4 stone

5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I swear with rock its all a crap shoot. Seams that way anyone. I have an excel program that figures it up for me. The only problem is, I have to know the weight in lbs per cubic in. So everytime I get a new rock, I measure it up, so in the future I have the correct data.

6. CrewCutEnterprises

Ok. well I did some searching on the internet.

Most places say 3/8 to 3/4 gravel will cover from 220 to 260 depending on where you look on the internet.

Somehow my conversion is way off.

Mine says 445 sq ft is 1 inch thick requires 1 3/8 yards or 1 ton,

So imagine a 10 x 50 ft driveway 4 inches thick. It requires 5 tons and costs 256.00 including gravel, Thats a steal I think.

Any thoughts