excel hustler 4000 Diesel Help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ewalden, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ewalden

ewalden LawnSite Member

:cry: HELP :cry:

I'm new to the site, and new to the Excel Hustler Turf Equipment. I purchase an Excel Hustler 4000 Series (used) with 1826 hours mower. It ran great for the first four or five weeks. But, the last time I had it out it was acting funny. It started and ran, but every now a then it would bog down. I came to a stop and the engine would catch up. The grass was not too tall, or wet. When I stopped the mower to clean it off it would not restart. The engine will crank over, but not fire. Listed below is the spec of the engine. I'm looking for any help I can get. The mower is now outside, and I would like to get it under cover for the winter. I'm looking for any ideas on what it might be. Like I said, it will crank, but no fire.

38 hp Kubota diesel engine,
    72-inch Quadcycler ™decks

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS 4600
    Horsepower 38
    No. of Cylinders 4
    Displacement 91.44 cu in
    Maximum Torque 68 ft lbs @ 2100 rpm

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed :waving:

2. txchopper

txchopper LawnSite Member

If it has these three things it has to run. Compression, fuel and working glow plugs. With iot bogging down I would look towards a fuel stravation problem. Bad filter, water in the fuel or a week pump.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

why don't you post this in the hustler sponsered forum? mowerconsultant (the hustler rep) really knows his stuff and will be able to help you.

in my opinion, it sounds like you have a dirty filter or the engine is getting starved for fuel.

just a couple of questions that I would like you to answer so that can try to pin point it.

1. does it only happen when the engine is warm?

2. does it only happen when the engine is cold?

3. what kind of maintenance have you done on the machine since you got it?

4. did you let it sit at a low gass level for over a month?
    all I can say is if your getting compression is that it has to do with fuel. how long was it since you ran it regularly? it is possible that you got water in your gas tank or the gas is stale.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like the fuel filter is clogged and not allowing enough fuel to pass through it. Replace it and it should run fine.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I guess that it has fuel in the tank. With the colder temps we are having now you are probably gonna need fuel conditioner to keep the wax from plugging the filter. Check the air filter also, usually a dirty filter makes one smoke bad but I havent seen an air filter shut the engine down all together