excell hustler 4000 series - 72in cut Kubota diesel engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ewalden, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ewalden

ewalden LawnSite Member

:cry: HELP :cry:

I'm new to the site, and new to the Excel Hustler Turf Equipment. I purchase an Excel Hustler 4000 Series (used) with 1826 hours mower. It ran great for the first four or five weeks. But, the last time I had it out it was acting funny. It started and ran, but every now a then it would bog down. I came to a stop and the engine would catch up. The grass was not too tall, or wet. When I stopped the mower to clean it off it would not restart. The engine will crank over, but not fire. Listed below is the spec of the engine. I'm looking for any help I can get. The mower is now outside, and I would like to get it under cover for the winter. I'm looking for any ideas on what it might be. Like I said, it will crank, but no fire.

I must also say it a great mower I love the thing !!

38 hp Kubota diesel engine,
    72-inch Quadcycler ™decks

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS 4600
    Horsepower 38
    No. of Cylinders 4
    Displacement 91.44 cu in
    Maximum Torque 68 ft lbs @ 2100 rpm

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed :waving:

2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Ed,

I am not intimately familiar with this particular unit or engine, but I am knowledgable about diesel engines.

I would replace whatever fuel filter or filters are in place. If possible, also check for algae in the fuel. There is an algae that actually grows in diesel fuel and will plug the filter(s) The algae shows up in the form of gray pellets that are usually about the size of a BB. These pellets are soft like putty.

If you are not familiar with bleeding of your diesel engine, get a manual for the bleeding procedure. You will need to be familiar with this procedure for your particular engine. On some engines you can change filters without bleeding the entire system, but you will need to fill the filters somehow with fuel. This varies with engine type.

If you do indeed find traces of the algae, find a product called Biogard. This will kill the algae in the tank. Also, if you got some wet or dirty diesel fuel, it may take a few filter changes to clear it up.

Good luck and let us know what you find,
    Doc

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like you need to replace the fuel filter or you may have a blockage in your fuel line between the filter and the fuel tank.