excellent time saving tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 26, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i cut more than 1.5 hrs from my wednesday mowing schedule, by taking a few shorts cuts. #1- first of all, you know those crappy lawns, that have alot of weeds and look bad, but the owner just wants it cut every week? well, last week i made my guys weedwack the hell out of them. almost down to the dirt. this week, no need to weedwack. i'll try not to again next week. #2- on the better lawns, do not wack "wall to wall". in other words, only wack where the mower can't get. alot of people (including my wacking crew) have a habbit of running the wacker over every inch of bed, curb, etc. no need to. #3- wack only in obvious spots, where if u don't, it will show badly.in fact, try to skip the back yard completely. #4- no more blowing. discharge the grass inward toward the lawn, and for any residual, run the mower w/blade on, on your way back to the truck. #5- edge only once every 3 weeks, and NOT with the wacker, it takes longer and does a crummy job. #6- there is a handicapped lady, whom i did a cleanup for. i left a pile of debris, in the back of her yard, at the bottom of the hill . i was there mowing, and rang the bell for the monthly fee (she likes to say hello for a few min, once a month on payment day). i was just about to apologize for not picking up that pile, when she cut me off and said, " excellent job bob, the cleanup looks great, the lawn looks great, thank you so much." it was then it occured to me, that, being disabled, she couldn't see, the pile at the bottom of the back yard. in fact, not able to get around, she can't see most of the back yard. so, i figured, why even bother? so, on every elderly or handicapped person, just check thier view points from the windows, and in areas they can't see, screw it, don't even wack or mow, or clean. 1.5 hrs per day, times 5 days= 7.5 hrs. it's like getting a day off, with pay:drinkup:

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby,

Good ideas on the trimming. How about spliting your routes in half, trim the top half one week, the next week do the bottom half. Do as you say and just spot trim the other half the week you are not doing a full trim on it. I have been toying around with it and the day does go by faster.

JP

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I only cut for the blind, with no neighbors and no friends. I dont even have a lawn mower..nope, I just bought a recorder, ran my friends scag for 10 minutes and I bring it to their place and walk around the house with weed in one hand and a bud in the other. I get paid on time every month. :cry: Im sooo goin to hell.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i thought of that, it would never work. u can't get enough blind customers in close proximity, to get tight routes.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

LOL liquidfast!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

6. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

LOL. you might as well do this. I think what bobby's doing will catch up to him eventually. Maybe not anytime soon, but once friends or relatives of that lady come by, they are gonna ask why there's a pile of debris in the back of her yard.

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

to me it seems like you are riping off the customers, i would rather take more time to do a complete job. family might go into the back yard some day and say, "hey grandma, why is there a huge pile of rotten leaves back there?"
    but, if you ask them and they don't care, then that's another story, quality goes a long way.

8. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

thats great, what if it was you mother that couldnt get to the back yard, would you want some one to do that to her ??? i swear, reading you threads is like comedy hour !! where do you come up with these things, or are you just bored.. are there any threads that are real that you post?

Im not trying to start anything but you do post alot about weird subjects... are you trying to get 12000 threads or 15k lol lol

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You better hope customers can't tell time as well as see lol. I think some of my customers with nothing better to do-- time me. They may not say anything, but if you do it 15 to 30 minutes quicker than normal they probably figure they are being shorted

10. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I agree with Scagwildcat.

Can anybody say WACKER?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: