Excess acid in soil needs lime?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by M.M.A. Mowing, Sep 1, 2011.

1. M.M.A. Mowing

M.M.A. Mowing LawnSite Member

Is this the cause for no growth from grass under trees? Or is it another problem? I have a few clients that I cannot seem to get grass to grow around trees, (20ft radius). I know shade could be an issue but I have clients with extremely shaded areas that grass grows just fine if not better.
    I've had a swimming pool tech tell me to put lime down to level the lime/acid levels in order to grow grass, I question this because he's a pool tech and not a LCO, but then I second guess it because he knows his chemicals and may know what he's talking about.

2. ok4me2xlr8

ok4me2xlr8 LawnSite Member

He is right lime is a soil sweetner, it helps to balance the Ph of the soil. Here our soil is really acidic so I apply 40 lbs per 1000 SF once or sometimes twice a year. Just make sure to use it is in a pelitized form because it contains other things such as magnesium, and calcium that are good for the soil as well. Hopes this helps.

3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

The pool guy corrects the pH in the pools and spas that he maintains.

4. ok4me2xlr8

ok4me2xlr8 LawnSite Member

I am pretty sure there isn't lime in pools.

5. M.M.A. Mowing

M.M.A. Mowing LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I will try it out and see if it helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CircleC

CircleC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW

have an arborist come out and educate you on the tree....then test the soil. Why would you ever add anything to the soil without a soil test. You are running the risk of damaging the lawn and most of all the tree. Its hard to get back 20 yrs of tree growth back. I know lime probably wont hurt the tree/soil; however, why risk it. And your customer would think you are really trying by getting good advice and testing soil.