excessive fuel consumption

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GarPA, Nov 10, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Some of the guys here on LS thought I should direct this ? to Exmark. They think, like me, that something is not right with the fuel usage. THe last 2 tankfuls of gas(5 gal each) have given me between 1 and 2 hours per tank. Usually I can get about 4 hours out of 5 gal's.
    Yes the ultravac is running most of the time, about 70%. I know that puts more work on the engine hence more fuel....but this last tankful today I got barely over an hourj of mowing and it was empty.
    HP 52 runs fine, starts fine...brand new air filter.I'm less concerned about the fuel costs but more concerned that something is not right and could lead to a major repair.

I see/smell no leaks and no drips on the trailer floor.

If you've heard of this before, I;d appreaciate your telling me what the problems were. I dont want to lose the mower for a week right now so any help in telling me what to check for is most welcome....thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

GarPa,

It doesn't sound right to me.

The fuel must be going somewhere. If we assume there is no leak we can check a couple of things on the engine. First pull the dipstick. You want to make sure the oil is not diluted with gasoline. Generally you'll be able to smell it and as much fuel as were talking see it as well.

Next you want to pull the plugs and inspect them. If they are black and covered on soot then your running rich and you have a carburetor problem.

I suppose it's possible your putting that much strain on the engine (not probable though) but to be honest I've never seen one use that much fuel under any load.

If you find something with the plugs, don't clean them. Instead leave them for the dealer to see and get the mower in for inspection.

The dealer will probably put new plugs in and run the mower. That way he can see how long it takes for the new plugs to carbon up. This will give him a good indication of what and how severe the problem is.

Thanks

Terry

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Terry...thanks

But lets try this on for size....I was not paying attention to the clock when I was doing these tests....just the hour meter....do these things ever go bad? COuld it be something as simple as the hour meter not recording properly ???

and while we're on this topic, would you mind telling me in a sentence or 2 how the hours meter works?? thanks much

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

GarPa,

First I'd put the clock on the machine just to be sure. I don't ever recall seeing a slow hour meter but it's possible.

Function. In simple terms the hour meter does nothing when the engine is not running because there is no complete circuit. The hour meter is connected to the oil pressure switch. Once the engine starts the oil pump pressurizes the oil passages which actuates the oil pressure switch which completes the circuit, allows electricity to flow to the hour meter and it begins to click off the hours.

That's more than one sentence but I kinda gets the point across.

Thanks

Terry