1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Excessive growth in mid-Atlantic

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfdude, May 15, 2004.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if its been discussed or not as I have not been online for a long time now ... but this schtuff is growin' more now than in my 20+ years of doing this. My crews are out longer, bagging more and there seems to be no end in sight. I don't think that doubles are conceiveable unless one is double cutting! I IM'd Rodfather last week and he too said he was gettin' killed w/ heavy growth and was double cuttin lawns he hadn't ever previously double cut. Most of our props avg. 5K sq ft, and at 40 or so a day, we're removing 6-7 cu.yds of grass clippings a day. Even w/ the excessive heat here this week, the soil is still wet. I hope things get a little more under contriol soon because I've had to add an extra guy or 2 a day to mow so my mulching and landscaping are falling further behind.

Whats your take on this season so far??
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: turfdude, you said it the growth was out of site. some homes i thought we skipped last week, didnt look like we were there. but, after cutting this week, ive noticed some turf stress settin in now, noones sprinklers are on and the turf is dryin up. lawns we cut thursday are showing the signs areound the trees. weve been pullin tons of grass also, im hopin it calms down soon, this 7 oclock stuff gotta stop. tony

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Surge growth is also happening down south. Even my non-treated yards are out of control. I'm thinking maybe they fertilized, but then I pull up to the next yard, and it's the same story. But I'd rather have this, then a drought. Like you said, I've been in this biz for 18 years, and have never seen it like this before!!
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it was Friday around 11am and me and 2 of my guys pulled up to this lawn. 2 1/2 acres and it grows like there is no friggin' tomorrow (we have to double and triple cut it using doubles blades as well). Dude alongside of me turns and says, "hey Rod, can't we just go on to the next one please?"

That kind of sums up my year so far...
  5. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I've only been doing this for 4 years . The growth is out of control. Grass clippings are unbelievable and double cut most. Every thing is taking alot longer and falling behind on mulch. It is nice to hear I'm not alone. We finished yesterday around 5 pm. Matt
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Checking in to say ditto here in MI as well. I've got 6 to 8 inches of growth on most my lawns, after only 1 week. Everything is taking longer, and it's a real pain. We are supposed to be rain free here for a while, and a bit cooler, so hopefully that will put a stopper on that growth. I dunno. It sure is unusual, I cannot remember another year like this in the last 10.

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Happening here in connecticut also, been double and triple cutting. I may start mowing some of them twice a week to try and get them under control before memorial day.I have never seen them grow so fast.
  8. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Same in N.W Ohio. I was cutting yards yesterday that normally take me about 30 minutes, I was there about 90 minutes due to very high growth. It is so wet underneath that it is leaving tracks in the lawn. Oh well, better green than brown I guess.

9. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

What about trying growth regulaters Primo etc.
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank God it isn't just me. I wondered why I'm having such a bear of a time getting through the week.