Excessive water pressure

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by srm077, Aug 20, 2008.

1. srm077

srm077 LawnSite Member

This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker...

I just purchased a new home with a contractor installed irrigation system using all Rain Bird parts. I noticed that my rotors are not spraying that great of a pattern and was looking for possible causes. I think it is related to excessive water pressure. My static pressure at a hose bib is 110 PSI and flow is about 20 gpm. My irrigation system lines are 1 inch poly with 1/2 inch connections to the heads. The heads are Rainbird 5000's with the blue 2.0 nozzle, valves are Rainbird 100 DV's. Backflow preventer is a Watts 007M1 QT installed between the meter and main valve. There is no pressure reducer on the system. Per my meter- my zones are using about 14 gallons per minute with 6 rotors running.

I am thinking of installing a pressure reducer or trying the Rainbird 5004 + PRS heads with the built in pressure regulator.

Any thoughts from the pro's? Also- it it common not to use clamps on the smaller poly lines that run to the heads?

Thanks again in advance!

-Scott

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Install a pressure regulator. Especially with the RB DV valves. They slam shut faster than most valves, which spikes the pressure for a brief moment at the valve. The valves will wear out faster, and you could get a broken manifold or valve.

The smaller pipe feeding the heads is swing/funny pipe and no it does not need clamps. (if done properly)

3. srm077

srm077 LawnSite Member

What pressure regulator should I purchase? Also- is there anyway to measure dynamic pressure at the last head in the zone?

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Brass PRV usually made by Watts or Wilkins. Don't know model #s.

yes with a pitot tube and pressure gauge. Prepare to get wet when you do it.

5. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I can't believe it - straight-up advice to a HO with NO sarcasm? Dana, you're in too good a mood, what's up?:)

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Because he absolutely knew his s***. He knew what he was talkin' about.

also it's lightly raining, good dinner, easy day

7. srm077

srm077 LawnSite Member

How do you know I'm not in the Green business? I do not install irrigation systems for a living and was going to call out local company to fix my "Professionally" installed system. The company that installed it is a local landscaping company and thus far- I am unimpressed with the system they installed. I understand that the builder most likely did not give them adequate budget to complete the system.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

dude did his homework..

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. gotta give him props for it. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

srm077, you are that most rare of homeowners: one who actually knows what he's talking about AND can ask a question that is answerable.