Excited, First Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LushGreenLawn, Dec 3, 2006.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought my first Zero Turn yesterday. :usflag: :clapping: :dancing:

Got a John Deere 717A. Got a petty good deal on it to, $3950 has 37 hours on it and warranty left until august. Bought from a homeowner. It does not have a mark on it, not even where your shoes rest on the deck plate.

Now I have to bite my nails waiting for spring to get here so I can cut some grass!!:cool2:
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Why can't I ever find deals like that!? Our dealer is running them for 5995 plus tax but at 37 hours yours is still brand new! Enjoy it, the 717 is the best mower I ever owned. Now if you put a mulch kit on that baby with some gators you can watch leaves, straw and everything else disappear.
  3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck, Sounds like a great deal!!
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a great deal also. Hope it treats you good.:)
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Not to rain on the parade....

Most warranties are non-transferable.

And it appears from reading the warranty statement (which I have attached) that your purchase would be termed a "Used product", which is no longer covered by warranty.

If it were a new purchase however, it would carry a 12 month non-residential use warranty.

But for a mower with a list price of $7,819 , you probably will get good enough use out of it for the price you paid.

Attached Files:

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My first ZTR is also a JD 717A. I bought it in May 2006, but paid a WHOLE LOT more than you did! You got a great deal.

Don't worry about the paint on the foot rests. I have about 250 hours on mine and no sign of paid wearing off yet.

I hope you are as pleased with your 717A as I have been with mine.
  7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Yes that is a great ztr. John deere should back you up with good warranty coverage. I think the warranty is 2 year commercial over the whole unit.
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The 717A is a residential machine. The residential warranty is 24 months, non residential use IE Commercial use is 12 months. However, since the machine is a USED unit, the warranty does not transfer.

I swear, it's like it's a waste of time to look stuff up and try to help people on this site.
  9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I will double check with the dealer on the warranty deal...

I read your attachment, and you are right, it says it does not cover it if it is used, however, The dealer that I bought it from said that they would warrant it until August 07.

The purchase was made under unusual circumstances.... Our local dealer also sells Farm Equipment, their lot is huge, everything from mowers (all of which are kept in a huge showroom, nothing outside) to huge combines. I bought the mower from their yearly farm equipment auction, the mower was owned by the dealer when I bought it. It had been traded in by a homeowner that had decided to go with something bigger. Mabye buying from the dealer keeps warranty intact?

I have noticed that when I have bought equipment in the past (weed eaters, blower, hedge trimmer) even though I have told the dealer that I am using it commercially, The always seem to tell me that they are checking residential on the warranty card so that I can get the full warranty, mabye JD Dealer is doing the same? I realize that that is not the most ethical way to do business, but I do tell them that I am using it commercially, they take it upon themselves to do this. I have had it happen at 3 dif ferent dealers, so its not one rouge dealer

Anyhow, I will check with the dealer when they open this morning
  10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Nobody said it was useless to look up info and post it but every single case is different. Just because your dealer does or doesnt do somthing doesnt mean that a dealer in another state might act a different way. After dealing with several JD warranty issues a few years back, alot of time it comes down to the particular dealers. Also, his first post didnt specify that he bought it from JD dealer and they TOLD him it would be warrantied although it was used.