Exclusive Membership - Voice Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sean Adams, May 4, 2003.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I have been asked a lot of questions about the Exclusive Membership option we created. I have received quite a few e-mails and a couple threads have been started as well.

I first want to stress that LawnSite.com as it is now is not going to change. The free forums that exist will remain free and in the same format.

I also want to stress that Exclusive Membership is not nearly private forums. We only created the private forums option because many people rquested it over time.

There are discounts, larger ticket item give aways, registration for the largest raffle the Green Industry has to offer, polls, quizzes, Member of the Month, Picture of the Month, Web Site of the Month, etc....

But I'm not going to create something that isn't what our community wants. If you have suggestions, let me know. I want there to be options for members above and beyond the forums themselves.

One person suggested I let everyone see what exclusive membership has to offer before charging for it.

Please understand our intentions are not to divide the community or break apart the atmosphere that has proven to be successful.

So here is your chance to voice your opinion....

What do you think Exclusive Membership at LawnSite.com should include? Not include? Cost? And so on....

I welcome your input and suggestions and we will tailor membership accordingly.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

2. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Sean,

The exclusive membership is a great idea. It takes time for people to get used to change.

Here's an idea; once per month you could host an exclusive member chat with someone in the industry. Perhaps a well known consultant or a business owner that is running a million dollar company. Someone that could share valuable insight to get to the next level. A live chat would be great.

Just a thought!

3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

I think that is a great idea Mueller Landscape Inc, that could be a great way to educate all members.

I find this unbelievable, when I was a site administer I would have loved the fact that our viewers and subscribers "requested" a pay section. You played this brilliantly by charging $60.00 per year, making it affordable for all to join only later to find you are talking to the same people one year earlier for free.

I am not trying to discourage anyone who wants to do this, I am just trying to make sense of it all.

4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rather keep the cash.

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the new forum in and of itself is just fine. You have thought it out well and all of the extras sound great. The fee is reasonable, appropriately priced so as not to make the cost prohibitive for most people I wouldn't think. Like you said, just one more option for folks.

I think what went wrong in the earlier threads is that everyone lost focus and couldn't narrow the scope of the conversation, mostly because of perception and attitude.

What remains to be seen is if some of the guys whose opinions I hold in partiularly high regard will post in the exclusive area, only. Regardless, I would still cruise the open forum because I value everyone's opinions.

One question I have is: Once an individual becomes an exclusive member, are ALL of their posts from that point on eyes only for other exclusive members, or just the posts they put up while in that format? Also, what about an individual's archived threads? Will they become eyes only?

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

The main reason that I started the earlier thread, was not to cause problems I just wanted to know who was going to join. There are several guys here that I really value the information they have to give, there are several other guys that will make you think a bit and there are several others that can just anoy but are sometimes good for a laugh.

The main problem I have with a seperate forum is this, if I need an answer to a question and I would like opinions from the former two groups and not all of them choose to join the exclusive forum, I will need to then post the question in both forums to be able to get as broad a range as desired.

You might cosider grandfathering the members that are acutally active (for the first 6 months) and the people that haven't been posting at all and the people that join the board later will be charged a fee, you could also kick people out of the exclusive forum to the free forum, if they turn out to be troublemakers.

Not that the 60 bucks is anything, just that some of the more informed/involved people may choose to deal with just one forum, be it the free one or the exclusive one.

IMO the main reason that some of the people here wanted a pay site was to weed out the "undersirables" but $60 isn't going to do that, only 5 to 10 yards will pay that :D

7. I HATE this term, but I can’t think of a more appropriate thing to say, so here’s a Reality Check. Mickhippy brought up a great point, this website isn’t about the features, it’s about the people. People make this website informative and entertaining.

Some of the people here think pretty highly of themselves and their opinions. But other people check and correct them. The more participants, the more experience. Many Scrubs don’t even know their Scrubs until they come here.

People come here to learn, after a while they contribute. They hear criticisms and praises, they want to try an idea, so they spend some money. So manufacturers spend money to advertise their products to this target rich environment.

Someone comes up with an idea to generate money from both sides. The faithful say Amen with their credit card number. “Exclusive” membership? Exclude people? Limit the ideas and opinions to the few? Same people, same ideas and opinions. Shoot, just do a search.

8. CTB

CTB LawnSite Member
    from PA

I saw the apology post, but was unable to view what prompted the apologies, must have been interesting.

I think this Exclusive Membership is a great idea. I understand how people could get irritated about dividing the masses, but it doesn't seem like that was the intention. It seems like it was meant to give Exclusive Members a little more than the regular LawnSite Members...give us more opportunities.

If there is anything in that store I would buy anyway, and I am going to save 10% just because I paid $60 bucks, how is that a bad investment? Also, I want to get a chance to win a bigger prizes and if no one else is joining, well at least i have a hell of a chance, (so thanks everyone)-

I do agree it may not be a good idea if this was an attempt to divide people and get everyone's money for nothing else in return, but that doesn't seem like what the admin is trying to do here. They are giving us something more for our $$.

Also, I think it is A GREAT IDEA to try to get Industry consultants and millionares on here. In my opinion, that's worth more than $60 bucks, I would be surprised if many people would disagree.

I will be an Exclusive Member for the advantages. NOT because of private forums, there is already a ton of information/people on the public forums. I wish Sean and the other Administrators the best with the new endeavor and hope it works out for the best -- Good luck!

9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

CTB - thanks.

If you look at the new announcement you will see that we did in fact modify membership so it is focused on the benefits versus the forums themselves.

We are definitely going to bring the industry consultants to the site to lend their expertise and wisdom, and yes, the store has great products with discounts worth more than membership itself.... and so on.

I just want everyone to read the new announcement at the very top of every forum so they see the modifications we have made.

Thanks again.

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

The new exclusive site would be good if you can get the 15 to 17 year olds from posting 80 percent of the posts - they read - memorize - then pretend they do the deal.