Excuse me! Do you mow lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Apr 15, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had a dollar for every time someone pulled up next to me and asked that I would have 3 dollars in my pocket today by itself!

The 3rd time today I snapped and told the lady I was a plumber in disguise.

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Why get mad? Chances are they are potential customers. Just reply, Yes, and give them a business card.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

It tickles the ^%^& out of me for someone to ask! :)

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Those people are probably using that line sorta as "an icebreaker", just to start the conversation. If you are looking to pick up some new customers, then be glad they are talking to you.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly, they probably feel akward walking up to you in a public place and just start talking to you. It may come out stupid, but its probably all they can think of to start a convo.

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

yup, thats what i was going to say too. I'd be polite to them.

7. packerbacker

I usually am polite but its not like I walk up to cops and ask them to give me tickets.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

30 minutes into a leaf cleanup (guy didn't have it done in the fall) lady comes out of the house "what are you guys doing here?" i guess she didn't get the memo... '

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i've had alot. and i also have alot that say, "are you taking on any new clients? who do i call, do get a quote." so let me ask you numbnuts a question: if this IS HAPPENING TO YOU, and you are trying to grow and gain more clientelle, what would you do? what kind of messege are you getting from this if it is happening?

10. packerbacker

If they ask me that I inform that I am and Id be happy to give an estimate but when Im sitting in my truck that has "Lawn Care" on the side and a trailer with mowers on the back and someone asks me if I cut grass then they deserve "stupid question, stupid answer" remark.