EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jun 26, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry if me asking about every mower on the market bothers you. Yes I do have a 21" Toro Commerical WB, but as I keep getting new customers it's not getting the jobs done fast enough any more. Dealers in my area have all these nice new red and green machines on their showroom floor and will not let you cut grass with them. Therefore how the HELL am I to know if I will like the finish cut, unless I ask the people that are using them everyday? I don't want to spend $3000.00-$5000.00 to not be happy with the machine. Spend $3000.00 and the thing cuts like **** then they say well deal with it. I'm truly sorry if my asking questions on all these mowers offends you two. Have a nice day. Mowman

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Mowman-I can't beleve that the dealers in your area wont let people demo them.That blooming crazy!!!!!!How do they expect people to ever buy any thing from them!!!!I would never deal with a dealership that will not allow demo's!!!Does any one else agree?<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you buy a car without test driving? Or get married without a test.......? Well let the dealers know that you have talked to other dealers and show them some green. Basically, show them that you are ready to buy today if the machine does what you think it will!

4. Mowman,<br>Your dealers aren't the only ones that don't allow demos. My dealer and other dealers in my area (at least 3 other companies) will not let you demo a product. Space is limited and they get ripped off all the time. The only way I can demo a piece of equipment is to borrow or rent a machine from somebody or the manufacture’s rep will let me demo his or her machine. The latter case, very rare.<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

There are many dealers in my area that do not demo walk behinds,especially small dealers. They have to purches the machine and most can't aford to lay out cash for demo units.There is one larage dealer that has units to demo at his show room.If you are looking at Dixie Chopper, Hustler,or Walker,then a demo can be aranged through the manufacture rep.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowman, you need to go to trade shows and you can demo any machine you want. The Expo in Louisville, KY every summer, end of July, will have almost all brands - 10-15(or more) acres of outdoor demo areas.<p>Check out the summer turfgrass field days for your state turfgrass assn and your state lawn care assn, and those in adjacent states. These are smaller shows, but often if they do not have the machine you are interested in they will arrange a demo later. Meeting a rep at a show is a better intro than walking in off the street to a dealer showroom.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the dealers in my area will rent a demo to cover their costs. If you decide to buy that one they happily deduct the rental charge from the price. I didn't have a problem with that policy. Maybe you could suggest that idea to your dealers? Also, did you ask your questions on the Mower Forum or this one? If it was here then I could understand some of the people here giving you a hard time. If I want to read mower posts I go to that forum. Good luck!

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Mowman, totally legit question as far as I'm concerned!! I just don't like the ones, Lesco sucks or honda sucks, etc just cause people abuse or do not know how to operate the equipment. Your post bring up a good point. I bet if you were to contact the customer service rep staright at the company (i.e. exmark (you did say red!!) And tell them what a prick your dealer is, and tell them they are loosing a commercial customer, etc because he will not back the product he sells by letting you try it. If you did that, I wouldn't be suprised if the dealer shows up at your house with a mower for you to try and buy at a discount! I gurantee the manufacturer would not be happy with the service your getting from one of their dealers! Hope that helped!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

9. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the post above. My point is that you have spent alot of time studying, dwelling on, thinking about etc, etc, what is the perfect machine.<br>Make a decision. If you purchase a commercial grade mower that is a step above the 21 incher you are using, you will be more productive.<br>I am just trying to push you. Make a purchase and go for it!<br>By the way my first mower after my 21 Toro, I did not demo. Found a fair price, bought it, and still use the mower every week. JD GS 25 walk behind.<br>Good luck

10. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

dittos on the above posts.<br>Anyone that wanted me to plunk down more than $300.00 without a test can watch me walk out the door & go find another dealer. Same with banks, contractors, etc. That's why there is competition. If you don't get the results you want, there's others who will be happy to take your $$ (they call it having your business). There are some in my town that won't let you demo, or only in their dealer yard (not the real world either). Some will bring it out to your site of choice, but I like to take it & test it myself on my work without eyes on me making sure you don't scuff the tires.<br>Also as jim said, goto EXPO! That's how I narrowed down my decision-making; I drove the snot out of everyone of them until I found what I liked. Someone doesn't want you to try one-walk away & let them know about it too.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>