excuses for not paying thier bill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 3, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oh...i've heard em all. dog ate the check, my husband lost his job, i know i sent it, it must have got lost in the mail. here are the ones i liked best-" i can't afford this bill, i'm spending 2 months in europe this winter." and- " i'll need you to lower my payments, our bills are very high in the summertime, you know, we have the pool, and the bar, and we have alot of big parties in the summer, it gets expensive." let's hear the excuses
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

my husbands having a heart attack and I need to get him to the hospital. OK please give me my check before you leave in case he does'nt make it. LOL
    True story and response !!! BTW - I did get the check before he went and he survived it was only a minor one
  3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I usually just get the old "I didn't receive the invoice" excuse.

I was at a clients house recently and was explaining to her that I havn't received payment for a past due invoice and she said she didn't receive a bill for that month.
    She went inside and then came back to the door with a check written for the exact amount on the invoice.....though it was funny that she didn't receive the invoice but knew how much she owed.

Also had one lady tell me that her husband doesn't allow her to use the checkbook, apparently he takes it with him to work.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

"Must have been lost in the mail"
    "Cant you do any better on the price?"
    "Well, I want to see all the dates that you cut on"
    Or, they leave right after I get on my mower.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We just had a million dollar renovation to our kitchen so we can only give you half this month. We should catch up in a couple of months except we are planning to have some Italian Marble placed in the entry and that is very expensive!

Hmm. Sounds like I need to be prepaid for the next year since you can afford all of these upgrades but only give me half of my payment.
    Did I half ass your maintenance?
    Don't half ass my check.
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have heard all the excuses, but my favorite one was, "I just paid my property tax which was 10 grand and I don't have the money" It amazes me how people want to live beyond their means at other peoples expense. All of my late/non payers live in very nice homes, while the little poor lady living in an old house that needs work pays her bill on time every month.
  7. geoscaper

geoscaper LawnSite Member

The landscaper/lawn service is usually on the bottom of most peoples lists. It's bs, but thats the way it is.
  8. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

had one just last week the bills was for 105.00 (in may)and 4 months later, 4 collection calls, 2 door knocks at the house, and 175 in finance charges and late fees she calls to "clear things up" says she needs to pay her bill & that its late b/c her mother died. I told he that must suck. (yeah i know cold hearted but 4 months late come on) she says so ill just send the 105 to your p o box....... as if.... no maam the total is 280.00 guh ok whatever i thought you would let me off since my mother died.... i asked her if her mortgage company "let her off" she hung up on me....2 days letter i had a check for 280.00 called her bank verifed the funds and had a hold put on them til the check cleared...... LOL i love late payers it makes me rich
  9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Latest one I had was "I'm going on my second cruise this year so I have to watch how I spend"
    Geez, my heart bleeds for ya, my vacation this year was a weekend camping.
  10. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

the only one i got so far is... oh sorry been busy out of town but i got the bill right here and all the late charges i will send a check out today.. Wait and wait hmmm no check so i call him hes like i will meet you up there i got a ( for sale) house showing tonight at 6 so i meet him up there and got the money.. there a few others that i call and they say hold on or wait a minute or ya come over and i will pay you for the services.. still waiting on him his original bill was only 56 dollars its at 100 now for all the bs that i been doin.. next time is to collections... got to love them.... :angry: :waving: