excuses given when customers quit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, May 14, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i'm sure you've all had your share of customers quit with bad excuses, i just had two in the last month that boggled my mind..

first one called up and said she got laid off and her son was going to do her yard for her... a couple days ago i saw a guy mowing her yard using an exmark..i'm sure that was her son :rolleyes: yea right

next one called me up and left a message on my machine and said that she got fired... wow she'd told me before that she didn't work and stays home and watchs her grandkids all day...

2. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Yup, got a couple of those last year...... funny it's always the " I got fired. " excuse that they seem to provide as thier reason for getting rid of you.

3. My old guy came back

My grandson is going to do it.

My old guy came back

I need the exercise, I'm going to do it myself

My old guy came back.

The dog ate my yard.

My old guy came back.

Maybe I should change my name to Old Guy

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't had too many that weren't legit and even though they quit, I don't care. I have been the one who also quit a few customers with an honest approach I might add.

There excuses were,
    I'm retired now and need the exercise.

I have a family friend that wants to do it.

My grandson is going to do it.

Mine were basically quitting before starting,
    If I skip a week at your request, I charge double the next week.

I will not be able to push mow your 10,000 sq ft lawn for 20.00 a week.

I will not be able to mow your 9000 sq ft lawn for 15.00 like the last guy did.

I love this business anyway!

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i had one blame it on 9-11 yet new guy there the following week with a 3500 dollar landscape wich is all dead now because of the drought next door neihbor liked his new landscape so much they dropped me after 5 years now they have the worst two yards in a corner of 5 i still do

6. I've never worried about being fired because it's never been a work quality issue.
    Like mow ed said you usually get fired before you start. The agreement gets signed, then they call before they season starts, or the first week or two into the season with an excuse. I find that when your rates are at the higher end of the scale some people will take you on to cover their A while they shop or beat the old guy out of a price increase.

7. TALLEY-HOE

TALLEY-HOE Guest

I TOOK ON A NEW CUSTOMER THIS YEAR. MOWED IT ONE TIME. THIS PERSON WAS UNREAL. MY CREW WENT BACK THE NEXT WEEK TO MOW LAWN, SHE FUSSED AT MY CREW ABOUT EVERYTHING, INCLUDING KNOCKING ON HER DOOR SO SHE CAN UNLOCK THE GATE TO HER BACK YARD. DA!! HOW ELSE DO YOU GET THRU A LOCKED GATE WITHOUT A KEY????? SHE TOLD MY CREW NOT TO CUT THAT DAY. I DROVE BY THE NEXT DAY & LAWN WAS CUT--NOT ONLY CUT BUT SCALPED. SHE PROBABLY FOUND SOME YOUNG KID TO CUT IT FOR HER AT A LOWER PRICE. AFTER THE FACT I FOUND OUT MY UNCLE HAD TOLD HER WHAT SHE COULD DO WITH HER LAWN & LOADED HIS EQUIPMENT BACK ON TRAILER WITHOUT MOWING THE WEEK BEFORE. WHY CAN'T CUSTOMERS JUST BE HONEST & SAY THEY HAVE FOUND SOMEONE ELSE AT A BETTER PRICE. THEIR NOT HURTING MY FEELINGS-THERE IS ENOUGH WORK OUT THERE FOR ME.

8. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

"The dog ate my yard"

Thank you, Bob. That was funny! Took me by complete surprise!

stick-nInE

9. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I got a kick outta that one, too. :D

The sole commercial account I had went in-house this year. I miss the money but don't miss the account.

Another customer left earlier this year because she had "too many things going wrong in her house" and had to free up money to fix them.

Another wanted to do it himself.

Another said I was charging too much (which I was, but they were many, many miles off my route. I appreciated his candor :) ).

Another said I was charging too much (I wasn't) and doing a lousy job (yikes!). He paid the service for his parents' house, who absolutely adored me and my work. He found someone cheaper and supported the switch with the "lousy work" comment. In fact, he asked me to stay at a lower rate and I left him.

This has been an unusually high year for cancellations (what, five in five months?). I lost a lot last year, but mostly from raising rates dramatically to free up my schedule from the lowballers I allowed in when running my company badly (pre-Lawnsite, natch). In other words, I lost more last year but I was cleaning house. :)

They all said the same thing last year: "I'm not paying $20 more a month for yard service!"

I would have had to add another $20 this year to get them in line... :D

10. Well mine is going to seem odd to you guys.

I lost a few to Brickman and I was told that Brickman Group bought into Duke Managment.

Well that seems odd that they have to buy into a company to get accounts.