1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exercise, NOT ! its really just work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman59, Feb 15, 2003.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

You are absolutely right! When you are mowing however you are treating your body like a machine, you are not even close to just walking for a 45-65 minute walk,
    you are horsing around a mower, blower, trimmer climbing up and down hills around trees, all of this activity is far from a exercise that is even close to controlled. Its is work not exercise, your body can be conditioned to get you through the day, but that is it.
    After spending my life doing a very physical type of work I thought why would i spend my time exercising. I would unload a Meat truck with 6500 lbs of meat on it and get it done in less than an hour and 1/2. Anybody that uses a walkbehind has conditioned there body to keep up with a machine after 45 minutes of continual mowing though your body does not gain any additional benefits from that exercise, as a matter of fact it starts to go in just the opposite direction. Do your muscles ever get sore from running a walkbehind mower? If they do and you work those muscles when they are sore you are doing them no benefit, the soreness comes from the muscle being torn down the pain you feel is the muscle trying to rebuild itself. If you use it while you are sore you raise the risk of long term injuries. That why people that are professional athiletes never work the same muscle groups day after day it gives no benefits
  2. turfman59

Sorry guys I keep hitting the new post key, Must be tired from thinking about running that walkbehind all day LOL:D
  3. Gotta Frame

Gotta Frame LawnSite Member

Damn your smart :blob2:
  4. turfman59

Where the *ell did you come from :alien:
  5. turfman59

I am not condemning anyones choice of equipment, use what ever you want:D
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am not being confrontational but I think I missed the point. I excercise 5 days a week in the form of running/jogging for a duration of about 45 minutes to an hour. I do agree with you that you have to be in a target heart range for a period of time to do aerobic activities but anaerobic activty is also a good balance.
    Yes you can condition yourself to use that mower the same way every day but once you are at that level that is required to work you cant get much better unless you do something different.

Thats the reason that I jog. There is always another level that you can get to if you really want to. I eventually would love to run a Marathon before I croak. Right now I am only up to a 10K or so.
    Good Luck
  7. turfman59

I started with the ZTR thread posted earlier, I accidentally clicked the new post button and took it out of context sorry MOW ED
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

My doctor tells me to "never quit your job mowing, it's the only thing keeping you alive" LOL
  10. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

Try doing landscaping and maintenance with two herniated discs! I wish this upon noone!