Exhaust maint.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro-hp_48, Apr 24, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

This might belong more in the mechanic & repair forum, but since we all have comm. mowers that use the same basic type of exhaust pipes/mufflers (more or less), what is the best way to make them last as long as possible? It seems it only takes alittle while to become rusty (mine anyways).

Does anyone have any good tips/advise to recondition a rusted muffler, as far as high-temp paints, Gempler's Rust Converter, ect.? Would like to hear how others have kept theirs from rusting out prematurely. (had to take mine off today, to pull a cyl. head, and hate to put it back on like it is)

2. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I know what you mean.
    I hate to have an exhaust system to look neglected. I haven't found any paint that really works well and lasts more than a few months, even after sanding/blasting, "metal prepping" and painting.
    If it were not so expensive I would have them ceramic coated.

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Hmmm, ceramic. Never would have thought of that. (and have 2 ceramic kilns(sp) here I'm storing for my mom) Wondering how the Gemplers would work with the heat. Might work since it converts the rust. In theory, it would never rust anymore. Have some around here somewhere, might try it.

4. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

My best suggestion for keeping your exhaust, and the rest of your equipment in best condition is to get an enclosed trailer.Keeping it dry will keep it from rusting...Chuck

5. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

Metro,
    I was referring to a coating like "Jet-Hot". I had a header coated and it will never rust and the version I used is good up to 2000 degrees. The bad part was, two 2" tubes about 3.5' long with flanges on both ends cost $195.00.
    The only reason I did it was it is for a 1980 RX7 aftermarket header that they no longer make. :cool:

6. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

One thing we do to headers on our race cars is to strip the paint from it first then cover it with AT fluid then heat and burn the fluid off and they stay a shinny color for a long time like several years.

I seen someone above said get an enclosed trailer and that it would keep it dry and make it last a long time. I usally wet my mower 2-3 times a week washing it. Dont the people with the enclosed trailers every wash their equipment.