1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exhaust welding help

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Feb 19, 2011.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

So I need to weld on a new muffler on my truck, its currently 4" straight pipe. Any advice for welding a muffler? I'm using a miller autoset 212. I have experience with welding just never exhaust pipe and being on my back welding. Maybe I'll just mess around with some extra pipe i got laying around for practice. I don't wanna clamp it and I'm too cheap to get it done at a shop
  2. southgalawns

southgalawns LawnSite Member
    from ga

i wouldn't lay under it, slag/sparks will fall on you and burn you. try to weld from the side. best bet is to do top tack and bottom tack, weld 2 inches up top, and 2 inches on bottom is other direction to keep it from warping. take some water to cool off, or wait a few mins. then finish it up.
  3. DoornbosOutdoorServices

DoornbosOutdoorServices LawnSite Member

Ive been welding along time and this is probobly your bet for what you are trying to do.
  4. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

its just like normal welding ur just working with thin tube turn the heat down just enugh to not blow thru and use a wet rag to cool it down after every inch or so. tack it like said above so it dont pull and warp if you have a little welding experiance u should be fine
  5. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Put earplugs in.
  6. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

hahaha yea deffinatly that hurts big time!!! even just grinder sparks hurt in the ear lol
  7. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

People don't believe me when I tell them how important earplugs are especially when you are welding in a weird spot. Sooner or later it'll happen........ouch.