Existing landscape, additional ideas needed.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BostonBull, Mar 14, 2009.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I have a small mulch bed area, that is 2 years old. I am looking for some ideas of what I can do to add to the area, or change in the area. We are currently installing a fence, and it changes the landscape quite a bit when its done.

img_1545 (Large).jpg

2. BostonBull

View from my front porch

img_1547 (Large).jpg

3. BostonBull

View from above.......

img_1549 (Large).jpg

4. BostonBull

Here is a layout of whats there......

-The tree is a Flowering Dogwood
    -The Yellow X are Endless Summer, and Blushing bride Hydrangea
    -Green X are Azalea
    -Red X Viburnum
    -Blue X Hydrangea
    -Light Blue Golden mound Spirea

I am thinking of moving the Spirea down to the corner of the bed by the house under to the left of the Yellow X Hydrangea. I would add 1 more Azalea in its place.
    I also wanted to add 2 more viburnum to that slope in the front.

Where the fends ends and mulch bed begins at the top of the picture is 14'. I was going to dig up all the grass, extend the mulch and maybe put a weeping conifer in the corner.

The mulch bed is 16' tall by about 35' long as is.

I was also thinking of putting a small picket fence, maybe 3' tall, across the top of the mulch bed for looks and property boundry......the house next door is up for sale.

img_1548 (Large).jpg

5. BostonBull

I should add that......The area gets sun in the morning for 2-3 hours, and then again, like you see in the pictures for 2-3 hours. The whole are never gets good sun. The soil is mostly clay/sand. Crap soil really!

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

umnnn...is there grid in that wall. If there is be careful not to hit it. If there isn't, well let's just say you have a lot bigger problems than plant selection and placement.

what type of wall is that...appears to be about 5' tall and I don't see any daylighted pipes and a drainpipe that appears to drop right behind the wall onto the ground. You could be asking for trouble. Perhaps I'm wrong????

7. BostonBull

I honestly dont know. we bought the house when it was 6 months old. theres crushed stone behind the wall, I dont know how far down, or thick it is.

Is there a way to tell whats there?

8. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dunno 'bout the plants but the wall does have a very slight outward bow to it.

9. BostonBull

not the news I was hoping for!

what can I do to tell what's there, and help the situation?

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, unfortunatly I agree with the other posts. That wall doesn't look too sound. Even if it's OK, it might last only a couple of years before it crumbles. I think you should address that issue before doing any plantings.

If you do a wall right, and use geo-grid, you'll end up tearing up most of the berm or hill before your done.