Existing pest control company entering buisness

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rluscomb, Nov 10, 2007.

1. rluscomb

rluscomb LawnSite Member

We are currently in the pest control business but are thinking about offering lawn mowing and landscaping business, has anyone done this and been successful, if so any suggestions. Thanks

2. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Here in Florida what does it take to get in the pest control business?
    I am in the lawn business and been thinking anout the doing the rest of it.

3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on how much pest control business your bringing in. Many PCB don't due mowing due to the large start up cost/maintenance with a much smaller gross margin. Its a completely different business all together. Heres an example: one truck with very little equip. and material can make well over 100k in the lawn business you will need a truck several pieces of costly equipment and labor.

4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a lot more money and less competition in pest control. Unless you have a passion for landscaping and mowing (wich I do); That move would not make much sense.

6. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

?? have you done a search? Mowing, probably a nasty bad idea.

Landscaping, yes that's a good idea.

So you probably haven't done any research around your area? Coming to this site might not give you the info you could get going around where you work. Doing pest control, or anything else will make more $ than simply mowing. But again you probably know best.

Good luck...:cry:

:)

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

It can be done... we got a new guy here thats ( ) air conditioning and landscaping.

My suggestions would be if you want to increase revenues... Build the pest control... If you as an owner wish to diversify then start a stand alone mowing company or a seperate division. I would seek to hire an experienced crew leader and take his advice for setting up the equipment needs that will best serve your target.

With that being said I would look to expand my radius for the pest control and do a large marketing campaigne for that.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

My situation is reversed - I have several grounds maintenance/installation crews and the local pest company is attempting to horn in on my municipal contracts.
    What aggravates the living piss out of me was he and I met when these contracts were first issued and agreed we wouldn't attempt to "job" one another.
    I called him on it and he blew the whole thing off - so now I am getting into the pest side of things and now I am in the process of obtaining these contracts, in their entirety, rather than him.
    Yes, I am licensed, yes I have a degree in entomology, and yes I have the equipment.

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of anyone trying to get the AC guy to reduce his price in summer. That would be the better part of the LS/AC business.

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I hear ya jay ray. Seems everyone here buys a ZTR and calls themselves a landscaper.

Old ford truck here with spraypainted sides that say grass cuttin and triming then below it it says LANDSCAP WORK and a number... i see him everywhere so he must be busy.