Existing wall tear-out and re-build with new

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by D Felix, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Ok, I've been talking about this project for a while now, but haven't been able to get everything together until now...

    Some of you may remember the thread about taking down an existing wall, this is the same project.

    I've got about 50 pictures, I'll post them one by one (I'm like others, I prefer it that way:)). I wish I could cut it down more, but it's been a fairly extensive project thus far, and we've taken several hundred to date, so 50 is only a fraction of the pictures we have.:D I'll go in chronological order as best as I can.

    We started on the project in late September. There was existing walls in place, as well as plant material to go along with it.

    This is what it looked like before.

    resize001Pbefore.jpg
     
  2. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    This is another before shot, but it gives a better idea of how everything was as far as hardscape.

    resize002Pbefore.jpg
     
  3. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Another before
    Notice the step UP after you step out of the basement doors... Also notice the PVC riser coming up through the pavers- that's the septic cleanout. Keep that spot in mind, it caused us headaches later on.

    A little history here: The house was built in 2000, and this hardscape was installed then. The blocks are Keystones, what's referred to as "hard-split", that haven't been available since ~'97 or '98. I'll add more info with each pic.

    resize003Pbefore.jpg
     
  4. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Sorry about the picture size, they are all sized that way... All are well under the minimum... I'm on dialup, so anyone without a fast connection, I feel your pain.:) But I still prefer the one-by-one!

    This is what you saw when you looked out of the basement doors. Remember where the top of the tree is that is in the background on the left side of the opening between the walls.

    In this pic, the wall on the right was 7 courses tall, the one on the left was 8.

    The pavers had been laid three times counting initial installation... The first two times they had been flush with the bottom of the basement doors, the last time they were raised like they were in the previous picture. I'm not sure why they were re-laid the second time, but I'm sure it had something to do with fixing drainage, which is why they were re-laid the third time....

    resize004Pbefore.jpg
     
  5. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Another before pic from downhill, looking back up towards the house.

    resize005Pbefore.jpg
     
  6. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    We had flipped up a cap at some point in time to see if they were glued down, and also to see how much (and what type) of backfill had been put in.

    Imagine our surprise when we found this, only it had inhabitants at the time....:dizzy:

    resize006Pbefore.jpg
     
  7. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    This is a better shot of the backfill... Not exactly "free draining".

    For those that are familiar with Keystones, I think when they went from the "hard-split" to what they have now ("soft-split"), they increased the core size to what it currently is. The cores on these blocks are MUCH smaller than what they currently have. That should be evident in the last picture.

    Oh, BTW, that wasn't the only nest we ran into....................:realmad:

    resize007Pbefore.jpg
     
  8. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Here's a better shot of how the "front" (was front side of the house) wall was aligned. Where the wall curves to the right, and then comes back out about halfway down, there originall had been a set of stairs there. For some reason, they were taken out last winter by someone the original GC had hired to do some "fixes" around the house. More on that later....

    resize008Before.jpg
     
  9. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    This is the "back" wall looking towards the house. Again, the center portion of the wall is where the stairs had been. Those caps were glued, which is why they weren't up yet. The rest of them, I flipped over with a rake in my left hand, and a can of wasp spray in my right.:) I think I used almost 6 cans!

    resize0009Before.jpg
     
  10. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    This is yet another "fix". I posted it in Adams thread a couple of weeks ago.

    When the stairs got taken out, new ones were installed (that went to nowhere) at the end of the walls. This is the extension of the existing walk to one of those sets of steps. The installers told our clients that the new pavers would eventually weather and match the old. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

    resize0010Before.jpg
     

Share This Page