eXmark 17hp 44" deck...enuff power??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tider6972, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I am interested in input from anyone who owns or has run this configuration as to it's abilities in damp/wet bermuda, bahai(?) St. Augustine.

eXmark Lazer HP or Toro Z-Master

Thanks, Steve

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

yep, it is enough power. BUT, why? Why the 44"? Get a 48 or 52 inch. The deck over hang eliminates most of the trimming and the 52" is faster. You can get the 48 or 52 in about anywhere the 44" will go. You will just be much more productive with a bigger deck.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i didnt even know it came in a 44. im with 65 go ahead an get the 52 unless you are getting this thing as a giveaway or something.laterTM

4. Don't buy a little ZTR. Get a 60 or 62".

If you are thinking of buying such a little ZTR what you really need
    (but don't know it) is a 52" walkbehind w/ sulky.

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yeah, the 4417 is ( I think ) a steal at $5350 in the crate. And I've got a 48" gate at my Mama's house. Hate to be unable to use it on "my own" stuff (G). But I thought I heard my better judgment whispering "too small" !

The same dealer has a 4821 but is $6574 on it...clearly he's trying to move the 4417.

I had decided a 5223 would be the way to go, and from what you guys are saying, maybe I'll let him get me one, or take the 4821. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish .

Thanks, Steve

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think the 17 is big enough to push a ZTR around and cut grass anyway. You should buy the widest mower with the biggest engine that you can afford.

7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am all for getting as much horsepower/deck as you can buy, but some of these replies would lead one to believe that the 17/44 set up is inadequate. COMPLETELY UNTRUE. I used this mower exclusively during my 1st year in business and was extremely satisfied! That mower could take on a 10 acre Condo complex or a ditch at a common area. It was...and still is incredible. As far as getting into the same areas with a 48 or 52...not residentially. I ran into countless gates that I could barely fit the 44 into -so a 48 would have only made me have to turn down a job (or push mow....not). I grossed over 75k the 1st year with that eXmark.
    Only you can determine your needs, but don't be afraid of abilities of a 44/17.

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Guardian is right, and he should know about the cut, being in Florida where it always seems to rain in the afternoon, and that thick Florida grass too. I also agree with the size. If you know of a property that will limit your size, then only buy what will work. It would be nice to have a larger machine, but if that cuts out 50% of your properties then its a poor purchase. Good luck! And Guardian, Im gonna be in Destin soon, email me and we'll hook up if ya want.

9. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I use the toro 44/17 and it has plenty of power. I cut small to mid size yards with this machine, so for my needs it works great. I have cut 12 yards in a day by myself without killing myself so don't think that the size is not enough.