exmark 18hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcjrfl, Apr 29, 2000.

1. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

I know many of you out there use Exmark HP's with an 18hp kohler engine with 44 or 48 inch decks do you like them, are they adequate for small jobs, would you buy another, if so, would you get one with the kohler engine or the kawasaki 19, 21hp engines and why. I have heard people had problems with the 25hp kohlers but how good is the 18hp kohler.

2. mountainviewland

mountainviewland LawnSite Member

I had a loner HP with a 44" deck on it. Way to small could not get around tree's and other stuff . It had a 17 horse Kawi it ran great. Kawasaki is my personal choice. I still have my original one thats about 15 years old. I just got the new Hp with the 52" deck w/23 horse Kawi. Also got the ultra vac I love it.

3. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a fullsize Lazer Z, 52" deck and a 18hp Kohler. Machine only has 20 hours on it so far. When I bought the machine I was worried that 18 horse wouldn't be enough. But it is adequate. No idea on the longevity of the motor yet. Time will tell.

4. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

thanks to both of you for the input. My dealer tells me that between a18hp/44"Kohler hp a 19hp/44" kawa and a 21hp kawa/48" deck there is approx $300 to $500. difference.It's not much but with the difference in price I could buy a red max blower>

5. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I have a 48" HP with the 18 horse Kohler. Sometimes I wish that I had gone with the 52". The 48" is not offset enough for close trimming, but there have been times when a 52" would have been to wide. I definitely would not go with the 44".