Exmark 21 commercial mower

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mcmurrytw, Aug 18, 2001.

1. mcmurrytw

mcmurrytw LawnSite Member

I went to an Exmark dealer today to look at commercial 21" walk behind mowers. They had a great deal on one with a 6.5 Briggs Intek Pro engine. However, when I look the Exmark web site, they only show a 21" with a Kawasaki engine. Is the Briggs powered mower a discontinued model? Is the Briggs Intek Pro a reliable commerical engine? What should I expect to pay for this mower?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mcmurry,

Your correct, the Briggs powered Metro 21 is a discontinued model.

The engine itself had some problems right out of the box in the valvetrain and especially in the area of valve cover gaskets on the first units. Once those were corrected the engine performed fine. You should inspect the mower. If it has the bumper or guard bolted on the front of the mower deck like the Kawasaki powered unit, it should have the latest updates. The key on this engine is to keep the rpm's set in the 3000 range and like all mowers keep the cooling fins and air filters clean. If the engine drops below 2800 rpm it tends to become a little sluggish.

I've got a Metro 21 with a Kawasaki on it now and if it ever goes bad I've got an old Briggs intek from one of the original prototypes that I won't hesitate to put back on. From the feedback in the field the Briggs engine is performing fine now that all the bugs are out of it. We simply dropped it from the line up due to the bad reputation it recieved on the original units. Now we have dealers calling and asking us to bring it back.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks.

Terry

3. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

Hello guys,
    THis is just a shot in the bucket but I have a Toro Commercial 21" that does not have the new front guard and has had several problems most currently with oil leaking out the front. Now here is the difficult part, the dealer I bought it from is absolutely terrible but the dealer I go to no is wonderful (Jackson Lawn Equipment). My current dealer does not carry Toro but carrys Exmark and he told me that briggs produced a kit that he had to install on some of the older exmarks they had when they got them in. Now then I asked my previous (Toro) dealer about the kit and he said there was no such thing but the problems with the mower contibue and I know that is is because of some of the mods provided in that kit. I would like to know if you know or if there is any way you can find out about the kit for my mower from briggs to fix it, or who (name/number) i should call to get one? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also I know am buying Exmarks and love them and the dealer :) Thanks.

4. eXmark

Jay,

I don't know. I guess I've never called anyone at Toro. You might try this number 952-887-8258. If they can't fix you up let me know. I'm sure there is something we can do.

Thanks

Terry

5. eXmark

Jay,

I don't know. I guess I've never called anyone at Toro. You might try this number 952-887-8258. If they can't fix you up let me know. I'm sure there is something we can do.

Thanks

Terry