Exmark 21" commercial x series mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JaysLawns83, Apr 4, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

Honda commercial is a good mower for sure. but they are heavy as sin for a 21, at this price, might as well just go all out and get a 30
  2. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have an exmark 21 kawi with the bbc. I prefer my homeowner grade Honda with bbc over the exmark every time. The exmark is super heavy and I just can't get the cut quality that I get with the hondas. Both bag pretty well though
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

If I remember correctly, all of the 21" commercial mowers are within about 10 pounds difference in weight. What brand 30" commercial can you buy for around $1000?
  4. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Not quite "$1000" but it is $1600, a Toro or eXmark commercial 30"
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have the exmark 21x bbc. It amazes me how tight it can pack that bag with clippings. If I go till leaves clumps, I have digg the clippings out of the bag. Thick wet turf, it leaves a perfect cut, leaves etc bags it all. The kaw is hard starting until you figure it out. One push of the primer, and it starts, however it smokes on start up. Always have, probably always will. Its not the best mulching mower, but it will suffice for most except tall thick grass. Have to keep up on the belt tension, but it only takes a min twice a season.

Over all, I would buy it again.
  6. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Commercial 21 X Series, I absolutely love it. It bags extremely well in all conditions and the transmission will pull you anywhere. Keep in mind it is a fast mower and it is heavy, but I like that about it. The Kai engine just needs to be primed once to twice and it should start up just fine. This engine has PLENTY of power. There are a lot of guys on here and I have seen out there switching to them and love them.

A neighbor of mine just got the Honda HRC216HXA the other day for his own personal use. I got to try it out today and honestly it does not hold a candle to the Exmarks imho. For me even on the highest speed it was too slow (I walk fast) Plus it felt underpowered and unbalanced. The controls on it just felt awkward with the very large drive and blade control bail it had. The only thing it has over the Exmark imho is that it might mulch a bit better but if you get the Exmark's Mulching blade it will do you just fine.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  7. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

8. Tennesseepowerstroke

If you can keep up with a HRC216 at wide open throttle, you are a better man than me.
  9. Tennesseepowerstroke

I am sure the Exmark 21 is a very high quality mower, but there is a lot in that thread that seems to be biased and could be debated. The reason I went with the Honda was for the motor. I was getting rid of a JD WE85 with a Kawasaki that was burning oil big time and Kawasaki was saying this normal. I have had several good Kawasakis but I was determined to make a change after this one. My Honda has been flawless and I would definitely purchase another one.
  10. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my Toro TimeMaster 30", with TurfMaster H/L blades, for $1100 OTD. I wanted Personal Pace, electric start, lighter weight, and cheaper price of the homeowner version.