Exmark 21" commercial x series mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JaysLawns83, Apr 4, 2014.

1. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

You stated the TimeMaster was a homeowner model. I'm guessing, you think that because Toro has it listed in their homeowner section. What I wanted for you to do is actually investigate the three available 30" mowers. I wanted you to read the 30" threads and find the facts. The reality is all three mowers are homeowner models. The two "commercial" options are just tarted up homeowner models. One has more HP, while the other has more torque. They both have transmission/drive issues. They have different controls. They all have sealed bearing wheels, though, the eXmark has a little more aggressive tread on the tires. The height adjusters are different, but, the TimeMaster seems more convenient. They both have the same deck (I currently have an eXmark baffle bolted in my TimeMaster). The commercial versions have bigger fuel tanks, canister filters, and supposedly more durable engines. There's a 35lb difference, too. One owner, who owns both machines, actually prefers the TimeMaster over the other two. But, overall, preference seems to be influenced by what features one desires. The bottom line is there are no true commercial 30" mowers that have the durability and reliability of, either, your WB or Honda. Toro/eXmark can label the 30" machines however they want, but, none are really commercial quality.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

esp not with that one speed tranny

3. ducnut

Personal pace on the TimeMaster is not one speed, though. But, for sure, not a commercial drive system, either. :hammerhead:

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

personal pace is really one speed. if you know how the desighn really works. it slips the belt to vary the ground speed. it only provides full self propel at one speed. the rest of the time you push it to help it along

5. ducnut

Which is why I posted that with the disclaimer of it not being a commercial drive system.

For ~$1700 of the "commercial" version, it should be hydro and have a ~9HP engine. Then, it'd be about perfect.

6. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

The cost of adding dual hydros to the more would be close to $1700 and then the 9 hp motor would just not be enough power for the hydros and the blades when on hills.

7. ducnut

Hydro transmission, like a Honda HRC216HXA; not WB hydros. That machine is ~$1200 and has a better deck than the 30" options. Therefore, there should be more room (at least $500) in the design budget to spec more engine.

8. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

To the OP, have you checked out the new Toro HD 21 inch mowers? I looked at one the other day and it is a pretty nice mower. It is like the Exmark and the old Pro Line Combined. It pretty much has the same 3 speed transmission that the old Toro Prolines had, except instead of a foot lever right near the edge of the deck the speed selector is right on top of the transmission. I also like how instead of steel wheels they have the poly plastic wheels like the Exmarks and Hondas have, very durable wheels.

It also still has the Recycler kicker system to help with mulching. The only real problem I could see with the machine is the lack of a discharge option, but I might call my Toro rep and see if Toro can offer one for next year. It is truly a Commercial Grade 21 inch mower. Here is a link to the one I saw-

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Professio...onal-21-Walk-Mower/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=22298

Pretty much, if you like the Exmark but want a three speed transmission and better mulching abilities, this is it.

9. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

This mower looks interesting. Does anyone know if Toro is making this mower or has it been outsourced? It looks similar to the John Deere WE85.

10. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a Toro made mower. It is more based off of the Exmark design.

The Gravely Commercial 21 has been outsourced to the same people who made the John Deere WE85. If you look at the two closely they are very different.