exmark 21 hp briggs surging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 4, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

my exmark ct 21 h.p briggs not a bad mower but definetly will be my backup this year.

Question is the mower runs fine while blades are engaged, however without them on the mower seems to "surge" Done regular maintence air filter, fuel, filter etc. possible it needs carb cleaned?

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I had a problem with a 22 hp briggs just last year. The dealer thought it was just a bad valve but I ended up having to get a new engine. I would definately look into the problem and clean the carb. If that doesn't work you might have a worse problem.

3. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

ok, good thing this will the second year for the warranty since it was new last yr.

Have u heard ne thing good about these vanguards. I sure will never buy one again.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Mine was under warrenty too, it was just 3 months old. The old engine just had a clamp on the back that held the air filter top on thats what caused the problem on mine. If you have the clamp on the air filter cover instead of the screws holding it down you could have a similar problem. Hopefully you don't have the same problem. All I know is for the next mower I will for sure go with a Kaw. or Kohler.

5. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

yes it does have the clamps. whats causes the problem to much air getting in. or to much debris.