Exmark 21 inch not cutting well.....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 3, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a 2002 model ( the guy claims) Exmark Metro 21 inch. $275Everything seemed ok on it and it seemed to cut fine when I tested it for a minute on the guys yard. I bought it yesterday. The problem is that when I tested it again on my yard, it looked like it missed about 5% of the grass. It just didn't cut em at all, just layed em down or something. I check the blade and it was pretty dull so I drove way out to get a new blade and that one sharpened. I put the new blade on. Oh, it also has a little mulch blade that is dull ( but should it be ) and is like 8 inches long. It fits over the 21in blade. It seemed to help with the new blade, but still misses some. It did rain a lot today so I'm hoping that this is the reason for more misses. It's a quiet motor but moves at least 4.5-5 mph in 3rd. 2nd is like 2 mph or slow and haven't put in 1. He claims that they always maintained it but the oil was dark brown and air filter pretty dirty. He assured me that it would cut better than my 21 in John Deere ( which is in the shop now and always cut great). However so far it doesn't. I called one place and they said it could be a problem with the rpm's and that there is a spring or something that may need to be adjusted so that it runs higher and thus will cut better. Like I said, it seems alwful quiet ( although perhaps with a Kawi engine maybe it should) but yet moves fast. Just cuts a bit badly. What should I do? Try to get my $ back. Threaten to take him to small claims court? See if he'll help pay for any repairs it needs? Do something to fix it myself? Or take it in and just pay what I have to in order to get it working properly?

2. green-pa

Anyone have some advice? Is it something to do with a governor that controls the rpms?

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Are you bagging or mulching? In my experience, attempts at mulching with sparse grass will always leave a ragged cut. For this reason, I never mulch, only bag.

I have a Toro Prolinem which should be nearly (exactly?) the same deck. Mulching grass will not leave a good cut. I have taken off the mulching accelerator, taken out the kicker plates, and set aside the standard OEM blade in favor of a high-lift blade, and always bag. The cut is smooth.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I met an old fella the other day who only uses the Metro 21 and only bags. He was doing beautiful work on bermuda. I don't know what kind of blades he had on it. But it has to be a good machine to get the results he was getting. Looked like he could have turned the thing blindfolded and come back right on track. He has been cutting over forty years he said.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I would try bumping up the RPMs and see if this helps. You may buy one of those cheap hour meters that show RPM's and check to see that the RPM's are correct.

I wouldn't try to get money back as you knew it was used when you purchased it and I will assure you the fellow wont return your cash anyway. I understand also when I sell something used it is in as in condition.

6. green-pa

So if I take the middle ( mulching plate ) off, it may cut better? I just put a new blade on it. Again, it travels fast in 3rd, but cuts like crap, in almost any grass. Seems like it has very little lift or suction on the grass, hard to make good lines. It didn't come with a bagger and don't want to have to deal with that. Any other 21 inch I've ever used has mulched/cut way better than this unit.

7. green-pa

Yeah, I just feel pretty jipped and lied to. It pisses me off that someone would do that. I can't believe I didn't notice it when I cut a stripe at his house. I shoulda done more than that but didn't want to mess his lawn up.
    Guess it's my fault huh? They act like they don't care and it's my problem now.

How can I bump up the RPM's? If it travels fast can the rpm's still be slow on the blade? I'm no mechanic obviously. It does have a seperate switch to engage the blade.

8. cgaengineer

Your idea of fast may not be full speed for the mower. If you increase the engine RPM's it will increase the travel speed as well and you may now have to cut in 2nd gear.

It does suck to buy something from someone that maybe junk...you have to ask yourself why are they selling it. The good thing is you are only out $275 and likely the cutting problem can be fixed.

9. green-pa

Yeah this is true. So u are saying that if it starts good and travels fast, that the engine probably is strong and only needs some adjustment or something?

10. cgaengineer

No, what I am saying is that it maybe fast in third gear but not as fast as it should be. If the engine RPMs are low and you adjust them, 2nd gear may now be similar to what 3rd gear was before RPMs were adjusted.