exmark 21 vs toro 21 and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 11, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

What are the differences between the two if any at all?
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The Honda is better
  3. tb8100

from TX

bump ! I know Hondas are good. I wanna know how the Metro 21 stacks up to the Proline 21.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Toro Proline 21, but have not used the Exmark 21. From my understanding (and wonder why nobody else has chimed in on this thread), there are two primary differences.

1. Toro includes mulching kicker plates under the deck. [My Toro has them, but I take them out for better bagging, reinstall them for leaf mulching.]
    2. The Toro uses a single bail for operator presence function, and for ground drive function. My Toro requires the bail to be pulled up to about the half-travel position to active operator presence, then is pulled up further to activate ground drive. The Exmark has a separate operator presence bail on the top, so when fully depressed to the handle, it is activated. The ground drive bail is under the handle, so the ground drive is activated when it is pulled up. They operate independent of one another.

For me, #2 is a big matter. Keeping the bail at the half-position during starting is very difficult. And, when making turns, or handling on a hill, keeping the bail far enough for the operator presence to be active requires extra attention. I also have a LawnBoy, in which the operator presence and ground drive are independent, like the Exmark models. So, I have the advantage of using both mechanisms. The separation of the two functions would be very important to me in making a consideration.

I think many folks have devised ways to deal with the Toro, to make it easier. At least one of them has been posted on LS in the past.
  5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

well I have both. The controls on the metro are better. As far as cutting the toro hands down mulches better no difference in bagging. The mulching aspect is a big plus with toro.
    Now I have the toro bbs and it works well metro tho has everything right there for you to do. Any other questions just ask.

I would get the toro bbs so you do not have to do what roger is talking about starting. I just sold my metro and got another toro. The cutting heights are also different the toro cuts up to 3.5 the metro cuts upt to 3.25 the problem is it will not cut at 3.00 inches flat like the toro.

I think the metro is the second best mower just behind the toro.
  6. tb8100

from TX

thanks for the detailed responses. What are these "kickers" you speak of on the Toro?
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

They are three plastic blockers, positioned in the mainstream of the upper corner of the deck. They are odd shaped, but basically triangular, held in place with two screws through the deck, screws driven into bosses molded into the blockers. They are roughly three inches long, and extend into the stream of air flow about an inch, perhaps a bit more. They are positioned at three points around the deck, about equally spaced around the circumference.

The use of kickers is to improve the mulching operation. The intention is the kickers will block the even flow of debris after being cut off, moving to the upper part of the deck. They are sloped in shape, directing the flow of debris downward toward the blade again. Obviously, the hope is that the kickers will keep the long clipping debris longer under the deck, being cut more often with the blade, making the clippings shorter.

In my case, I do no mulching. I remove my kicker for grass mowing, hoping the removal will mean better flow of air and debris from under the deck to the bagging chute. I do add them in the Fall for leaf mulching.

How much do they impact the grass mulching operation? I don't know. I'm not sure they add much to the leaf mulching operation. I do know that my Toro does not bag very well, so anything I can do to improve the bagging function, such as better air and debris flow, is to my benefit. Hence, I take them out (six Philips screws).