1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark 21" w/ Honda engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K-OS, May 3, 2010.

1. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

My dealer can only get a hold on the Honda engines for the new 21" machines. Is it worth the extra 150$? Or should I just go for a Toro Proline for the same price?

I had this darn thing ordered a month ago but they went into Back Order? Wtf Exmark?

Thanks guys!

2. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

The mowers are on back order for higher than expected demand and some rework on the bbc models. The bbc models need some belt guard updates, new fuel tank and new blade bolts. I know some people on here have had some issues with the drive belt popping off but out of the 10 or so bbc models that I have sold I have only heard of it happening once. I think that Exmark is just being overly cautious after the Metro 26 ordeal.
    I prefer the kawi but the honda should work alright for you as well.

3. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

The Honda engine will work out fine for you. We have three Honda mowers that we have been running for about 5 years and have ran like champs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

Is the Honda engines the same power? I know the cylinder size is about 20cc smaller than the kawa engines, will this mean I am buying a less powerful machines for more money?

5. 1984buzzard

1984buzzard LawnSite Member

Back when they still had the hp ratings on them the kawi was 6 hp, and the honda 5.5

6. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's exactly the same question I have been asking. Is the Honda really that good that people should paid more for less of an engine?

7. mgm

mgm LawnSite Member

We just purchased the unit with the Kawi engine , Zone start not BBC , we have had Honda also but for us Kawi works fine and since all of our other mowers use the Kawi we only have to stock Kawi parts. We have had the drive belt pop off 2 times ( takes less than 30 seconds to put back on ) our dealer said that there is a service bulletin from eXmark concerning a fix for the belt issue - at least eXmark admits and is making an effort to find a fix for this, unlike one of our other mower manufactures that I have experience with.