Exmark 21" X Series Cutting Issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by joed, Aug 3, 2013.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the same issue with the Kawasaki FJ180V engine on mine. It surges at the strangest moments. The surging seems more prevalent when the weather is hot and humid outside. I don't know what's causing that.

I contacted Exmark about the cutting issue. They responded by suggesting that I change blades to either their bagging blade or something called the extreme2 blade. Part numbers are: 108-3759 for the bagging blade and 108-0954 for the extreme 2 blade. I have no idea if either one would work.

2. joed

Thank you. I'm going to give this a try as well and see if this rectifies the problem.

3. joed

Just to update everyone, I had the machine back into the dealer the last few days. They sharpened the blade, raised the rpms on the Kawasaki engine (sounds like a jet airplane now), and suggested the heights be put at 2" in the front and 2.5" in the back. I followed their instructions and tried out the machine. Some of the stragglers are gone and some are still there, especially on hilly and uneven terrain. The quality of cut seems worse too. I don't know if that's because the blade is spinning too fast due to the higher rpms? Very frustrating.