1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag413, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have experience with an Exmark 21 with a kawasaki engine, self-propelled, and the BBC? Do they mow banks good or should I look into one without self-propelled? Oh, and are they worth the money or should I go with a Toro? THANKS!
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have only heard of problems from people with the eXmark 21"ers and the 26"ers. I have heard a ton of good things about the toros though. Check out honda as well, i have heard they make really nice commercial mowers. Mine are homeowner models but work great.
  3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

^^^^^^back Him Up 100%^^^^^^^^^^
  4. gavinslawncare

gavinslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I own 2 21 and i love them to death they mow great on hill and slopes look a getting a 26 this year Exmark nobody does it better
  5. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Exmark 21's suck. I do video work on the side and I have thought about making a video about how much I don't like it. I should have bought the proline Toro's like always.

BUT, I will say that there customer service is good but the problem with the handle that they keep fixing comes right back and there seems to be no fix for it. I get tired of driving 30 miles to a dealer and then waiting days just to have to pick it up and a week later it happens again.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Last time I talked with a dealer about the 26" he still did not have any clue about it
  7. Scag413

Hey, Thanks I still do not know which way to go though. Should I maybe save that money and buy a used gear-drive 36" walk-behind? I have heard though that they slip on banks when it is wet is that true? Otherwise would they be okay?
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have honestly mowed in the pouring rain just to see if that was true, i found that i had no problem driving up the hills, the problem came when i had to brake and the brakes were all wet!! Saving your money for a 36" doesnt sound like a bad idea at all!!.
  9. Scag413

Thanks alot mcwlandscaping!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

I conquer. All i run is exmark belt walks (36,48) these two mowers are animals thats all i have to say about that. dont sweat the rain or steep hills. SOme wont agree with me but i do a lot of side by sides that are so steep that a weed wacker would be needed. UNtil one day i took my 48 and put it on there. the slopes were almost 80degrees and had no problem. these guys will probably tell you it can't be done but these two walks can handle slopes like a champ.