1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark 23hp or 25hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dodgeman, Mar 28, 2002.

1. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

I have looked at the Scag and the Exmark and I do like the Exmark better. The dealer I talked to has a new 25hp(Koehler) 60" Lazer Z new and a demo 23hp (Kawasaki liquid cooled) The demo unit has about 1000 hrs on it. I can buy that one for $6000.00. Obviously just starting out price does matter. I do want to make sure I buy enough machine. Any opions on this?

Also I looked at a Ferris. Never heard of them. The price seems to be about the same or real close.

Thanks Again

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Any mower that has 1,000 hours on it is not worth $6,000. If I remember correctly Exmark had a big push on this model a couple of years ago and was selling them for not much more than that. Also being a demo I can assure you that the mower has been run hard and beat to death. I'd go with the brand new mower.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Six grand for a 1000 hr demo??? Thats highway robbery! Like Richard said, they were an oddball and I think only available one or two years, and they were heavily discounting them, as many wanted the 27hp LC. I wouldn't pay more than $4000 to $4500 for that demo, IF its in decent shape!

What were his prices for the 25 Kohler? Good prices are in the 7's for reg gas models. I would go new just for the warranty!

Take a hard look at the 26 efi ! A real powerhouse!

4. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

He is telling me that it is going to take about $8,400 for 2002 or $7,900 for a left over that he has.

Too much?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

His prices seem a little high. $8400 for a 2002 25hp Kohler 60" Lazer? Although different parts of the country are priced differently.

I paid $8495 for my 2001 LC 27hp. And I have heard that others payed way less than me for the same mower. I would think that an air cooled would be at least a grand less than that.

Ask some guys in your area. Call some neighboring towns that sell them, take a ride and get prices. Explain to them that you are new to this, and are tight on money. Give 'em a sob story. Let us know what you come up with!

6. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

Thanks. I thought it sounded high. But what do I know? I am going shopping first of the week. I am in sales so I will beat them down in price.