1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark 26 motor replacement???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JosephLawnCare, Oct 28, 2009.

1. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone replaced a motor on a 26 yet/before? The original motor is a 6hp Kawasaki FJ180V-as15-r. I was hoping there was a honda that matched up to it, without have to modify the mounting plate. Exmark has this mounting plate in a choke hold so you can't just throw another brand engine on it. Anyone know of a website for small engines, with mounting hole diagrams?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sent ya a PM.......
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

A GSV 190 would help lower the weight on that deck and has excellent power. Making it work ?
  4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Been there done that and personally I'd stick with an Exmark replacement, it makes for a smooth(er) transition imo.
  5. JosephLawnCare

Thanks everyone. and thanks for the pm Resto rob. I'm just sticking with the original Kawi. It's about the only thing to do, and the easiest.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Wow, lost an engine already? How many hours do you figure you had on that original engine? That is the good 6HP Kawi isn't it?
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's not a motor, it's an engine.
  8. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, topsites. I like this post. Normally I dont agree with you but its a pet peave of mine when people call engines motors. A little off topic but heres a couple more things that drive me nuts.
    1. The thread in commercial and residential mowing that says "Best Self Propelled push mower" If its a self propelled then its not a push!
    2. The thread that says "Echo wont crank, it starts up but wont stay running" Cranking means turns over.
    3. Wheel is a wheel, tire is a tire
    4.Seal is a seal, gasket is a gasket

Just a vent, I may or may not have ocd
  9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I hate it but technically you are wrong. Some even define a motor as an engine now.

One definition I found says a motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion....which is pretty much what an internal combustion engine does.

I too think of motors and engines as different but the rest of the world seems to be going the other way on it.
  10. JosephLawnCare

Already? it's 4 yrs. old. used everyday, 8 mths a year. I don't know the hours, as it has no hour meter, but'd I'd say maybe 2k? It just started knockin for some reason? I've had a few engines just go bad out of the clear blue sky, for no reason. oh-well I guess.