Exmark 26 worn out after 2.5 months

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Northwest, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

If you have one of these take it back now because if you nurse it through the first year then you are up a creek because it will not last. Replaced 4 drive cables (the last straw was today when the newly designed beefed up cable broke at the spring which is the only part they probably did not redesign on the "new" cable). Transmission bolts broke, transmission belt shredded, Kawasaki engine blew oil and seized. Brackets holding the front wheels worn out (mechanic said they would have to be replaced). All this on a machine that has had two and a half months use on it.
    Going in tomorrow, the dealer said he will take it back so I can get a replacement 21. I have used Honda 21's for eight years and never had a problem except replacing a cable or two after a couple of years. Just warning anyone else that has one of these. Also, I don't need guys trying to blow up there ego saying I told you everyone not to buy this. I had doubts about buying a first year machine but thought with exmarks then flawless reputation that this would be a great machine.

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I looked at one of them and was surprised how heavy it is. That along with the fact that many like you have had problems with them right from the git-go, makes me never want to own one.

I'm surprised that Exmark would produce something that has so many problems. My Exmarks have been problem free for years

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I hate to say it, but I believe you are going to see more of these kind of problems from Exmark. Their current plan, seems to be, "Lets build some of everything for everybody". There engineering staff has got to be rushing to get all this new stuff out onto the market. They have the new 26", new decks, new engine options, new front deck, new Walker clone, new attachments, etc.etc.
    Just how many engineers do they have, and how thin are they spreading their efforts? How much testing are they doing before production starts?
    Looks like the Toro mass merchandising guys have run amuck at Exmark.

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My "new" cable broke at the spring this week as did my original cable. My front adjusters are also sloppy.

Is the dealer going to refund your full purchase price, can you give details as to how Exmark responds to your refund request.

5. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

This is not an uncommon tale. As an Engineer, I have seen companies take big hits when they start to be run by accountants and financial types. Not knowing ANYTHING about Exmark as a company, I would be willing to bet that they have had a recent change in command and are now a Financial driven or Sales and Marketing driven company.

When a company changes in this way, the products ALWAYS suffer. Companies have certain goals and these goals will change depending upon its leadership. Many a company has been started by enterprising people who have an idea for building something or an idea how to build it better. It is almost inevitable that along the way, the company is sold, taken over by venture capitalists or something that takes away the technical vision of the founder.

When that happens "Katy bar the door" because they will start cutting costs in some or many ways. If done correctly, costs can be cut with little or no effect on quality, but that is a VERY difficult balance to achieve.

Let's hope that I am dead wrong and they are not just one more financial driven company headed for a reputation of shoddy built products, or worse yet, extinction.

Have a great day,
    Doc

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark is just a cheap Toro is always been my attitude.

As a general rule, companies with employees buy more Exmark than anyone else and this stands to reason as well: Nothing expensive for those who can't treat it right.

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You are right that Toro guys are running eXmark production and promotion. The minute I saw the 26" with a tag of $1400, I was ouucched. I no longer intend on any more of new eXmark, and my '01 TTHP is my last of eXmark, can't handle their dealer's neglect and attitude, in combination with high price and who-care service. Sorry and feel bad for guys that bought a 26" of them, that is apparently shoddy product.

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I was not aware Exmark was cheap.

9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The mower is an absolute piece of crap. I recently purchased the mulch kit in hopes that it would solve a few of our problems. You should see the build up of grass on not only the left side of the deck, but a large amount on every pass on the ground on the left side. Also, still PUSHING this clunker up even the slightest incline to get it going. The only thing it's good for is mowing weeds that are embedded in dirt on totally flat ground.

EXMARK SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES FOR PRODUCING THE 26 METRO. And I am ashamed for buying it. :angry:

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldn't have said this any better my self.