Exmark 27(Kohler)/52 Making noise @ hydro?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Down2EarthLawns, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Partner of mine has an Exmark 27(Kohler)/52 that is making a slight knocking noise at idle. Think we identified the area it is coming from. Hydro pulley area is the location, but can't figure it out from there. I believe it's coming from the pulley with the spring on it. Is there anything we can do to fix this ourselves through trial and error before we take it to the shop. I'll include pics of the area. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Check the belt for a bad spot. A bad or ware belt will cause this.

3. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Take the belt off and run the engine. If you still have the noise you know its in the engine. While the belt is off, check how that Idler pulley feels.

Scott

4. Down2EarthLawns

Thanks guys. I'll try that today.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Look closely while that belts off for a blob of a stick in the pulley serpentine grooves. Sticks like to enter that area (as evident by your photo) and jam between the belt and pulley. This causes the belt to shake and in turn make movement/noise.

Also while that belts off....grease and fully move the idler back and forth several times. This is the most overlooked grease fitting on the Lazer. Do a search for Idler under my screename and see what happens after a while.

6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem, but on a Gravely. At first, I thought the noise was coming from the engine, but then I got to looking around and I could see/hear that it was coming from a pulley with a spring on it like yours. It has pretty much done it since new, and it comes and goes as to how bad it gets. I can't even begin to think of how to fix it.

On mine, the belt is still perfect, nothing is loose or binding, and all I can think of is the spring harmonics are interacting with all the dynamics going on down there, and sometimes causing the belt to whip on the pulley.

7. Down2EarthLawns

Well...I took the belt off and checked all of the pulleys= clean. The belt had a tear in one of the serpentine grooves. So I thought I found the problem! I ran the engine without the belt and there was no noise. I installed a new belt, turned the engine on and.......same noise.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Did you do this?

It's either the idler or the pumps.

9. Down2EarthLawns

Yes, it seemed pretty tight to me. I also greased underneath and pushed it back and forth a few times. Could be a bearing in one of the pulleys, maybe?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well, thats what I was referring to! Yes that idler pulley bearing. Should be silent and not spin loosely when you spin it. If it sounds like an old rollerskate wheel it's toast. Grab a hold of your pump pulleys as well. There should be NO movement in them.