Exmark 32" how do I talk em down a little!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Jan 14, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I went to a local Exmark dealer today and to my surprise he wants $2900 for a 32" with a 12.5 kawi also includes a grass gobbler. Does anyone think this is high, if so how do I talk him down a little. I only plan on using this mower for about 4 months until I can get the viking with ECS. Thanks for imput.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have found most dealers are limited when it comes to lowering the price on a pice of equipment. Profit margins are slim. My Walker dealer offers spare parts to sweeten a deal.

Gene

3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

HHmmmm.......

Try using the same methods your customers use when you give them a price to service their property. ;)

4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you only need it for 4 month then find somethin used until then!!!!!!!

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If I was planning on only 4 months, I think I would come up with another plan. No way would I spend even $2k for 4 months.

You can use a 21" for 4 months.

6. scagman

Well heres the deal I have a scag 32" now, but its old and cuts uneven runs good but cuts really uneven. Im kinda waiting on some $$ right now and I dont think Ill see it for at least 4 months. Spring time is just around the corner and I have 30 accounts from last year plus I placed a bigger add in the yellows, so im gonna be busy. My plan was to buy an exmark 32" gear to get me through 4-6 months until I can afford better. I guess $2900 for that mower is alright, but it only has pistol grips. I was expecting somewhwere around $2000.What would you do? Ill probably end up laying down the $2900.

7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

If you are only going to use it for a few months check out the crsftsman w/b. It is a 32 or 33 inch. My service guy told me it is made by either troybuilt or bolens I can't remember. The price is about $1000. You should be able to sell it when done and lose not that much $ or keep it as a backup. I never saw one so I can not comment on the quality.

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Put the scag on a flat surface to check the deck, check tire presh,
    make sure spindles are tight, measure height of blades,
    check the blades, install new set if bent. for $2000+ check
    your machine first, save the money. Ed

9. scagman

The tire pressure is right, brand new blades, left spindle has a little play as for measuring the blades next to eachother I did that and found that the right blade is slightly higher then the left. I took it into the shop he thought it was tire pressure. I picked the deck up right in front of him and showed him how the blades didnt level with eachother. He said thats not it, But we can redo the spindles for $400. It seems to me like you have to spend $4000 at their store to get respected around there.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if u know a car salesman or mabe insurance etc.
    let him know what your top money is. then set back and watch him work. sometimes it takes a while,but if he is pro he can
    save u some money.his money is between u an him.
    mabe a months mowing in spring or something.