exmark 36" hydro walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLEANCUT007, Apr 28, 2008.

1. CLEANCUT007

CLEANCUT007 LawnSite Member

any idea on prices for one of these new? are they good machines?

2. I bought one at the beginning...

Depending on what you're using it for... For example, if you're just starting out - save your money and get a belt-drive. On a mower that small, if you do well and get a lot of customers, you won't use it much. And if you DON'T do well, you won't have a $4500 mower sitting in the garage collecting dust.

Besides, if you're just starting out, you'll never know the difference between the two..

If you just want to know if Exmark makes a good machine - the answer is yes.

3. CLEANCUT007

i am just getting started in a new location i moved to last year. i was in business before for 5 yrs but did only commercial accounts. i am now picking up residential and commercial accounts. i have a 52" ztr as a primary mower but it will not fit in some back gates on these residential yrds and would like to have a walk behind for steep slopes as well. the main reason i am looking at the hydro is for the sled option. would like to put an empolyee on it while i run the ztr. i have never operated a walk behind and know very little about them. could a belt driven mower pull a sled with a 250 lb dude on it?

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have two Exmarks, a 36" and a 48", both belt drive. Both excellent machines. I'm pretty sure the standon is not recommended for the belt drives, and also voids the two year warranty. If the guy using the machine is 250 lb. sounds like he should be walking, not riding.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with some parts of your post, and disagree with other parts of your post. In my second year, I bought an Exmark Viking, 36" deck, hydro drive. It was the best thing I could have done.

The machine has worked very well, and is used nearly every day. I work solo, and have been the only operator. I haven't kept track in detail, but looking back on the number of jobs and the number of years, I suspect this machine has been over at least 6,500 yards. My average mowing area is about 25K sq ft of mowing, so they aren't small. I'm not sure what is meant by "won't use it very much." Until two years ago, it was my primary mower, generating 30-40 service hours of use every week. I bought a ZTR two years ago, and use the ZTR on the larger properties. The 36" machine has cut many, many properties over 1 acre, and many between 1.5 and 2.0 acres. Two seasons, I mowed one that was 3 acres. On small properties, less than 10K sq ft of turf, I use a hand mower anyway. Often the terrain requires the small mower.

The machine has been very reliable -- I have not lost a single hour of work time in years due to failure. It has the second engine, a Kohler 15hp ProCommand. The hydro pumps and motors have never had a problem. I change fluid once per season, with a new filter. Spindle bearings have been changed over the course of years, as well as belts.

Nearly every day I use the machine, I thank myself for choosing a hydro over a belt. Having the instant, full-power reverse is invaluable for how I work. Also, having the ability to keep changing ground speed, having an infinitely variable control, is very important to me. I am always moving that lever to have the right speed for where I am working, cutting conditions, roughness of terrain, etc. I would be a frustrated wreck if I had to make a gear selection, and then stick with that selection, until stopping to make a change. Being able to make a ground speed change on the fly is very important to me. Also, nearly every property that I mow has some portion that is sloping terrain, and the hydro is important to work these areas.

You need to decide on how you will use the machine, what kinds of properties you will mow, terrain, etc. Perhaps a belt driven machine would work well for you. In my case, it would have been a poor choice.

IMG_1733.JPG

6. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I see you are from springfield. If so then you need to go and talk to the Encore dealer! If you will look around no one uses Exmark walks in this area in a 36" it is almost totally Encore with the ocassional scag and country clipper and yazoo's around. There are some ferris single drives being used but do not waste your time with that one! Good Luck!

7. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Yea if you are in springfield you need to go see alex! Forget the fancy show room guys when you break down they will not get you going in a timely matter! That is another reason the Encore 36" hydro is so popular in this area!

8. CLEANCUT007

What's an encore 36 hydro sell for?

9. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought my 5th one yesterday for $3995 and got 0% for 36months! I thought hard about a country clipper but he was out of them!

10. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a 36" encore saturday with electric start and got 0% for 36months! I think he is going to have to order some more!