exmark 36 metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cfosceola, Aug 1, 2003.

1. cfosceola

cfosceola LawnSite Member

i was at a local dealer and they have a few of the old style(pistol grips) 36 metro for 1999.95, and the new styles are 2500.00 with the ECS. Is the extra 500 worth it or should I jump on the old style. And can I put a sulky on it, they both come with a 12.5 kaw, my weight is 190.

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

12.5hp on a 36" gives you power to spare to run a sulky behind it. You won't have any problem.

I don't know about ECS, I've never used it.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I really love my ECS, but not $500.00 worth of love. I'd get the pistol gripped one and use the extra cash for a new blower or something.

4. howiehowie

howiehowie LawnSite Member

I bought the same mower for $1995. My dealer explained that the ECS controls can be added on by the consumer at a later date. You can buy the ECS for around $300 and put it on yourself(supposedly , not to difficult). I opted to try the pistol grips and always have the option to upgrade later. I don't mind the pistols. With the extra cash I bought the backpack blower in lieu of the handheld and almost had enough left over to pay for the jungles! :D

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have been using 36" eXmark Metro 12.5 Kawi with pistols for 1 year now, it rocks, the grip never hurts like people said. I have none of problems except adjusting drive belts and transmission, idel pulleys like 6 months ago when installing a jungle jim's.
    Great budet machine very good on residentials, doing it all back and front yard, gated or nongated. You won't be disappointed, besides the cut @ 4" on St Augustine is very very beautiful, leaving some nice stripe on them.
    ECS is awesome only on HYDRO mower like Viking or TTHP, but on Metro I found pistol is easier to play with, but you can install later that fancy plasticky ECS. Look carefully at pistols, they are ALL METAL but ECS has hard plastic on them on gear model.

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Is that price at Commercial in Kissimmee? I have a 1997 and that's what I paid for it then...$2000 for a new Metro is a good deal.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

ECS conversion kit is around $280 MSRP. Dealer is hosing you if he wants $500 more for same thing but with ECS. I think all new mowers come standard with ECS anyway, so he'd be getting a good deal. He's hoping customers won't figure this out. LOL.

MTR whats the longest period of time you've used pistol grips? My TTHP pistol grips will hurt my hands after 40 minutes or more of constant use and that's a hydro. I found that bending the OPC switch controls helped alittle. I may take the grinder to them and thin them out alittle. Pistol grips don't hurt so much as the safety controls IMO.

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You can still get the Metro with the older controls. I think the dealer probably has a stock of these and it willing to knock more off of them than the ECS to move them along. Like I said, this is the price I paid for the same machine 6 years ago.

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I bought the 36"metro w/ECS w/15h kohler last year. I paid 2399. From what I heard the 15 hp Kohler with ECS is not made anymore, (only the first couple of years). Have to buy the 12.5 ot get the ECS, or get the 15 hp and purchase the conversion kit. ???? why?:confused: Makes no sense. Guess I got lucky. I love my ECS, and I would pay the extra $500 for the ECS, BUT, how much does the ECS kit cost? Why not buy the 15 Kaw and purchase the kit?

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Frankenscagmachines, the longest time in a day I 'd been on pistol was 2 1/2 hr + nonstop mowing on my older account last year before the guy sold his property, it has big front yard and most of all "gated" pool and huge huge gated backyard overlooking large estate -type community. ( This is reason why I bought Metro cause I was dying mowing with 21" last September on his property) Well, never do with 21" again.
    I think if you grip lightly and moving your body for balance while mowing might factor in the ease of pistol...I like it but will go ECS if hydro. It took me a while to get used to pistol, though.