eXmark 36" - Trans Belt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by -=Shaw=-, Jul 16, 2012.

1. -=Shaw=-

-=Shaw=- LawnSite Member

First off, thanks in advance for anyone help anyone might be able to offer. Due to my limited experience in the area of commercial mowers - I might get a little long winded as I try to explain exactly what the problem is.

I purchased a used 36" eXmark walk-behind mower. During the first mow, I noticed a belt (that looked a little tattered) fell off and the mower stopped propelling itself. I took the belt to my local Ace Hardware (which is an eXmark seller) and asked for a replacement. They explained that the belt that fell off, doesn't go with the mower I was describing.

The model number of the mower is:
    36-12.5k

and the serial number is:
    41316-119

Those numbers are found engraved on a silver plate on the back of the mower (under the controls).

The number on the belt that fell off is:

As I tried to explain exactly which belt I needed to replace, the very patient mechanic searched through several different options and models, but couldn't seem to find one that matched my mower exactly. I might have confused the issue because as I was trying to search for the part number myself, I assumed the mower to be a Metro (because that was the search result that came up the most).

He eventually gave me a rotary belt #12-5067 (1/2" x 34").

I was able to get that belt on, but it was extremely tight. When I cranked the mower, and released the brakes, the mower popped a wheelie (and it was in low gear).

Once I realized that the belt wasn't correct, I started back at square 1... aka, google search.

I finally found what I thought to be the answer to my prayers. I found this website that seemed to list eXactly what part I needed for my mower (assuming I could select it from the tiny drawing).

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=exmark&mn=32-12.5K-5+S/N+40,000-49,999+(1989)

I went back to the store, and picked up the belt I believed to be the correct belt. When I placed it on the pulleys, it seemed a little loose. The belt worked for the low gear, but as soon as I tried to change into a higher gear, the belt fell off.

The belt I bought is:
    eXmark MFG Co Inc 403018 DF (what is printed on the belt).

So my question (I apologize for the long-windedness), is am I getting the wrong belts? Or am I missing something? Or is it possible that someone has altered the pulley system and I need to be looking for different belts...

After a week of this, I'm at a loss - short of sending the mower to be looked at by a professional... I'm just one of those strange breeds that likes to learn so that I will be able to maintain my equipment in the future.

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you adjusting an idler pulley with each belt installation? Is there an arced slot in the engine deck (between engine and transmission, with a bolt and pulley mounted in it that rides the back side of your trans belt? If so loosen the nut and set that so there is a 1/2 to 5/8" deflection in longerst span of the belt.

3. -=Shaw=-

-=Shaw=- LawnSite Member

Thank you for the post - I will climb under it in the morning and take a picture, because I have to be honest and say I understood about half of what you were saying.

For the drive belt, there are two pullies that the belt wraps around, then there is a wheel that as you go into a higher gear, presses against the belt (to seemingly add tension to the belt).

Does that answer your question?

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

5. -=Shaw=-

-=Shaw=- LawnSite Member

I tried again this morning to get the belt to work. I adjusted the pulley that adds tension to the belt (what I believe you are calling the idling pulley). When I cranked the mower and tried to move forward - not only was there no response - but the belt fell off again, this time with a large chunk being cut out.

I still wonder if it's not the wrong belt for this particular model. I followed the link dutch provided, and that belt has a different model number... but as he stated it is for a Metro (which as far as I can tell, isn't the correct model of this mower)

The model numbers for the metro's all seem to start with "M" - where as this model number doesn't begin with a letter.

Any other suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dutch1

from Jayhawk

For some reason I didn't find this info on Exmarks website.

http://www.patspower.com/pages/OemP...0,000-49,999_(1989)/Rear_Deck/110041/10040047

This link if for an Exmark Standard 5 speed with model and serial numbers that match up. According to the info it's a 1989 model. Take a look, it's the best that I could come up with.

If this unit isn't similar, you might explore the site more thoroughly than I did.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

You have a variable speed transmission...
    The different speeds are attained by the spring loaded adjustable pulley on the crankshaft...the pulley is probably stuck or rusted....
    Spray it with a lubricant or remove it and free everything up...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. -=Shaw=-

-=Shaw=- LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link - that's actually the same parts list I was looking at when I purchased the most recent belt (the one that I tried today).

I was wondering if it was the wrong belt, simply because this manual lists it as a 32", instead of a 36". 1-403018 is the belt I tried today. I should also note, that none of the belts I've tried fits in the groove of the idler pulley - they all seem to catch the outside of the pulley (as opposed to sitting in the groove of the other two.

Also, just out of curiosity - everything I've seen listed says that this model is a 5 speed - but the configuration I have only has 4 notches for speed... is that normal? I know the previous owner has made some changes (no dead man's switch), but the speed handle (the one that pushes the pulley onto the trans belt) only has 4 holes.

9. dutch1

from Jayhawk

I didn't spend a lot of time checking out the diagram since I was searching for proper model numbers. It didn't hit me until I noticed the single speed transmission in your last picture.

I'd say Slapper is all over your problem.

10. -=Shaw=-

-=Shaw=- LawnSite Member

That explains it, thanks for clearing it up for me. Now that I understand that, would it be safe to say that I need to be using the Trans belt listed here:

http://www.4emweb.com/sis.asp?code=...d+S/N+40,000+&+Up&doctype=3&page=10030015.htm

#1-303078?

Also, In looking at that diagram - I can't pinpoint which pulley you're talking about (the adjustable one) - just wanted to know should I need to replace it.

I really appreciate the help!