Exmark 36" Viking for $350. Buy it or pass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marckxman, Feb 17, 2007.

1. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

A landscape company in my area is cleaning shop. They have this 11 year old Viking that they just want out of there. I called yesterday and was told that it has a Kawasaki motor and runs and cuts fine. They have full time mechanic so maintenance has probably been consistent.

I will probably go look at it today.

My questions are for Exmark owners.
    Is a walk behind mower this old worth the hassle?
    What if anything needs special attention on this model?
    How well do these perform? (gear drive)

I am trying to be realistic. I have big start up costs and if I can get through the year with something like this and then maybe get something else next year, great. But I don't want to waste my money either.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If ints not completely trashed it will be worth it. You cant even get a blower for $350 now.
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have any pics I know someone who might be interested in it
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure it is a gear drive? I have an Exmark Viking, purchased in 1996. It is hydro drive. The gear drive mowers were called Metro, I think.

I have had great success with mine, albeit a year younger than this one. My machine does not have an hour meter, but I think it must have over 6,500 service hours. The Kohler 15hp ProCommand engine has been replaced one time. The present one might be on the late stages of life, but showed no signs of slowing last season.

The hydro pumps and motors have never been touched. The Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the hydro drive, along with the filter, has been changed once per season.

Spindle bearings have been replaced numerous times, but that repair is both inexpensive and easy to do.

Unless the deck is damaged, or the hydro pumps/motors (I am presuming hydro drive) have been troublesome, only $350 would be a great buy.