Exmark 44

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wade, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Wade

Wade LawnSite Member

Hello Folks,

I have narrowed down my search for a ztr and have settled on Exmark. My only dilemma is which model. The Lazer Z HP with 44" cut has a 17 hp Kawasaki and sells for $5,500. The 48" cut has a 18 hp Kohler Command and sells for $5,800. I am wondering if the extra 4 inches makes the machine that much more productive, and also wonder about performance differences between the two engines. Thanks for any input. Wade
  2. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I had the same dilemma about a year ago. I went with the 48". There are times when I wish that I had gone with the 52".
    Are those new prices? If they are then you have found yourself a deal.
  3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I got a 48" last year. I thought that it did an excellent job. For that price you should buy 2 of them.............
  4. Wade

Wade LawnSite Member

I have called a bunch of dealers and found the best price about 10 minutes from home. The prices are for new mowers. Wade
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Definately go bigger than the 44". You will be weed wackin' alot if you don't. I have the 52" with kawi, and am getting very tired of all the kawi problems lately. And kawi SUCKS when it comes to customer service. I think I will go with the kohlers next time.

The prices you have quoted are good. How is the service at that dealer?
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting the 44" in about a week. I would get the higher horsepower engines for those models.
    (44"-19 Kawi;48"-21 Kawi)
    I know it doesn't have any deck sticking out past the mower, but it's the best for my current needs.
  7. Wade

Wade LawnSite Member

I have checked with several people about the dealer I am about to do business with. Have heard nothing but good things. I am not sure if I want to go ahead and get the mulching kit or perhaps just mulching blades? Thanks for your earlier input. Wade
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the ultra vac on mine now with gator blades. I have a couple of lawns I cut last week with the gators side discharging and it did really well. I have the mulching kit on my exmark 36" and it is AWESOME. I will be putting one on the Lazer HP as soon as cleanups are done.
  9. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds familiar. I had the same issue, but have decided to go with the 48 with a 21 Kaw and an ultra-vac. My dealer has a used one with 7 hours that he will sell for
    7K tax included, with the ultra-vac. I am just waiting for Mr IRS to provide some funding (hope).
    You need to look hard at the properties you are or are intend to be cutting to see the largest deck that will accomadate the majority including gates. Switching mowers takes a little time and time is money. I will have to switch on several properties this year.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I will assume that your biggest yard is less than 1/4 acre. If they are larger than that, you should seriously consider a 52" Lazer HP. They are faster, have a 23hp Kawi, and have more of a trimside deck offset. Your just kidding yourself if you think that the 44 is the cats meow. It will not be much more productive than a 48" walkbehind! Is there a reason that you want the 44"? Do you have 47" gates to go through? Make price secondary, and your needs and FUTURE needs of the business primary.

Good luck, and dont take this suggestion the wrong way, I'm just trying to help you out!